Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Hip Hop: Raps and Rhymes Changing Times
Mazzy Warren, Editor-in-Chief • April 25, 2024

WORKING HARD: Former Bowie quarterback Evan Mallett works on a strengthening exercise to increase mobility. Mallett has been in occupational therapy since the 2020 crash that left him quadriplegic.
New beginnings: Mallett’s story
Ben Tillisch, Executive Editor: Sports • April 24, 2024

In a singular moment, the trajectory of Evan Mallett’s life changed. Despite taking and bouncing back from countless hits on the gridiron as a Bowie quarterback, this collision would prove to be much...

Autumn bake sale brings students together

Austin Ikard
Baking students prepare funfetti cookies for the autumn themed bake sale.

Every so often, Bowie is met with the smell of freshly baked goods ready to be sold to students. Thursday, October 27 was one of these days thanks to the culinary program’s Baking students.

“It’s fun to see everything come together and see all the food that we make in the end,” junior Josh Yoder said.

This week’s bake sale featured a variety of fall-themed items ranging from Caramel Apple Cake to Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

“At the beginning of the year, we wrote down a bunch of ideas we had and picked a target time to sell the items,” senior Kinda Natsheh said. “Since these treats were fall-related we chose this Thursday in October to do it. We narrow it down to about three or four things and then we pick a drink.”

While bake sales serve freshly made goods to students, they also serve as ways to fundraise for the culinary department.

“It’s a great way to fund culinary,” senior Laurence Stovall said. “Our program is funded pretty well but we can always use better equipment. Anything we can do to better the culinary program for the future is amazing.”

In addition to being a way to fund the program, hosting bake sales also brings together culinary students through the process of making food.

“[My favorite part is] working together as a group and seeing what we can do better for the future,” Natsheh said. “We always have a lot to say on the Fridays after the bake sale because that’s the way we come together as a group and analyze what we could have done better. It’s just great teamwork.”

On top of bringing the Baking students together sales like this serve to bring together the Bowie community.

“I think food is an excellent way to bring people together,” Natsheh said. “It’s great to establish communion. Whenever you’re going out with a friend, the number one thing that people think of is going out to eat, so whenever we make food in the kitchen of course it brings us together but [we] also see groups of friends coming up and buying food together. It’s just a great way to bring groups of people together.”