In the new online PSAT and SATs, the time to complete the tests have been shortened, but both previously separate math sections are now combined and a built-in calculator is always available.
Students and staff prepare for College Board changes
Alec Morse, Dispatch Reporter • February 22, 2024

Testing is a vital part of education and is used to show that you understand the subject. Test scores are also used by colleges to choose who they accept. Because of this, streamlining the testing process...

SOARING THROUGH THE SKY: A family enjoys their day out with their children at Cosmos Coffee. Even though Cosmic Coffee serves alcohol, this coffee shop is very family friendly for a perfect day.
Perfect Jitterbug Getaway at Cosmic Coffee
Fiona Padalino, Dispatch Reporter • February 21, 2024

Are you ever looking for that perfect shot of energy to help you throughout the day, but you just can’t find the right place? Well, I am here to help you quench that yearning for the perfect coffee drink....

Try a brilliant bite at Brodie Lane bakery

Haley Cakes and Cookies provides customers with a variety of mouth-watering desserts
Tasty treats lined up in the case ready to be bought and eaten.

The nostalgic aroma of confectionery sugar wafts to every square inch of the bakery, fluorescent blooming flowers create a vibrant ambiance, and sugar-high kids run to the glass displays filled with delicately decorated desserts.

Haley Cakes and Cookies is a local bakery that makes a wide range of sweets. From cookies to cupcakes, and even custom designs to your liking, they have it all.

Established in 2013 by Haley Evans, Haley Cakes and Cookies has made its mark in the Central Texas area with its delicious, yet beautiful desserts. The bakery has three locations: 1700 South Lamar Boulevard, 9001 Brodie Lane, and 10601 Ranch Road.

This bakery is a perfect place for Bowie students to go, whether that be after school or during the weekend. Not only is the Brodie location close in proximity to students that live in Shady Hollow and Circle C, but the bakery has also accumulated a four out of five-star rating according to Google Reviews and Yelp.

If you choose to go in-person, be prepared for limited seating, as this bakery is not properly equipped for crowds of people. However, you can order online from their website at haleycakesandcookies.com.

As soon as I entered the bakery on a Saturday afternoon, I was shocked by the interior of the bakery. Inside, there is a pink grand piano, bright flowers hanging from the wall, and detailed glass light fixtures hung throughout the restaurant.

And to my surprise, there was minimal guest occupancy in the building, with only a couple of customers seated at the front of the store. Despite the tight spaces, the staff was extremely kind and helpful, as they recommended some of their popular and well-loved desserts.

The bakery offers gluten-free variations of sweets, breakfast items, an extensive coffee menu, and of course, mouthwatering desserts.

According to some Google Reviews, there is a comparison between Haley Cakes and Cookies and Crumbl Cookies, a chain restaurant that specializes in gourmet cookies.

In my opinion, Haley Cakes and Cookies is nowhere near the same as Crumbl Cookie. Haley Cakes and Cookies focuses less on their cookies, and more on their sheet cake-style treats. However, Crumbl Cookie’s cookies are notably better than Haley Cakes and Cookies, because that is what they specialize in.

The only types of cookies that Haley Cakes and Cookies had to offer when I went were sugar cookies decorated in frosting. I bought one of their sugar cookies to try it out, and it was nothing special, it was more parallel to a sugar cookie you can buy at a local grocery store such as Target or Walmart.

It was so hard to choose what treats I wanted to review, but I had to settle on the Carmelita, the Brookie, the Razzle Dazzle Cupcake, and the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcake.

Many desserts you get from chain grocery stores often taste bland, or similar to one another. Not only that, but the treats are also mass-produced and don’t get a lot of attention to detail when they’re being made. I never really realized this until I took the trip to Haley Cakes and Cookies and saw the quality of their desserts.

Haley Cakes and Cookies is definitely a place I would recommend to go when you’re craving something for your sweet tooth.

The menu is diverse, the desserts are very flavorful, and the inside of the bakery is a perfect photo booth spot for social media.

Haley Cakes and Cookies choices