Ultimate Frisbee team participates in state championship

Photo courtesy of Tony Daon.

At the end of the tournament, the entirety of Bowie’s Ultimate Frisbee Team poses for a photo, holding up a banner that says “Bowie Ultimate”.

Donna Kim, Staff Writer

On May 6 and 7, Bowie’s Ultimate Frisbee team participated in the Ultimate Frisbee Texas High School State Championship in Plano, Texas. The team consisted of 16 students, a mixture of sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Bowie took home sixth place in the championship. 

Bowie’s Ultimate team is led by three captains, juniors Saffron Hartreeve and Seth Ledezma, and Senior Riley Peterson. All three captains make sure to organize training and preparations for big tournaments. 

We didn’t do that much differently at practices, but we reviewed our defense and offense strategies and really improved everyone’s abilities in them,” Hartreeve said. “We made sure everyone was well rested before the tournament and had enough food and water so they could last for 2 days in the heat”

A total of nine schools, including Bowie high school, participated in the state championship that took place in Carpenter Park. These schools were LASA A, LASA B, Lake Travis, Austin High, Cinco Ranch, Coppell, McNeil, and Westlake.

“On Saturday, we went up against four teams: Cinco Ranch, Mcneil, LASA B, and Lake Travis,” senior Tony Daon said, a cutter and handler of Bowie’s ultimate frisbee team. “We won our games against Cinco Ranch and LASA B to get to 2-2 on that day. Then on Sunday, it was Bracket Play, which means that if you lose your first game you play in the loser’s bracket.”

Bowie played against Austin High in the Bracket play and lost a close game of 13-12. Their second game was a win against Westlake with a score of 9-3. Their last game was against McNeil for fifth place. Bowie lost 10-8, making them sixth place. 

“Injuries affected the way we played, but we still played our hardest on the field,” Daon said. “Even though we were not satisfied with the results that we put out, we all had a good time playing in the tournament, especially the seniors, since it would be our last time playing for Bowie.”

With the school year coming to an end, Bowie’s Ultimate Frisbee Team has more planned for the upcoming school years. 

“With how we did in the state tournament, I definitely want to work on our offense and get people to be able to handle the disc better, including me,” Hartreeve said. “I hope that we recruit a lot more, especially athletic people, and I hope that we can get more girls especially.”