Readers recommend their favorite finds

Maddie Coleman

Sophomore Addie Hicks, Sara Hernandez and Olivia Walker read together in class.

Maddie Coleman, Dispatch Reporter

Romance, action, thriller, fantasy. There are millions of book choices available as a physical copy or as an audiobook on the internet. 

With the recent rise in popularity of book reading, many students find comfort and pleasure out of curling up with a good book. Bowie is home to our very own library, which houses thousands of different books where students can find almost any book they’re looking for, whether it be for school purposes or for personal enjoyment. 

Many book readers enjoy books with significant morals and themes present, especially ones that convey messages that relate to the teenage experience. 

One of sophomore Keira Scannell’s recent reads captures the essence of this popular theme: “Normal People” by Sally Rooney. 

The plot follows Marianne and Connell, two young people drawn to each other who experience an on-again and off-again relationship, but always end up coming back to each other throughout their lives. 

“The book is complicated and a little messy at times,” Scannell said. “But it is such a lovely and relatable book. It would definitely attract romance readers and people looking for a charismatic story.”

The main characters are introduced as Marianne, an independent, self-proclaimed social outcast and Connell is a reserved, well-liked jock. They both attend the same school but only speak when Connell comes to pick up his mother who works as a housekeeper for Marianne’s family. In these intimate moments, their relationship begins to blossom, but the pair keep it a secret to shield Connell from the ridicule he would face being seen with Marianne. 

“I think the book’s message is young love and miscommunication. Young love is very complex and passionate and miscommunication is common among young couples,” Scannell said. “Marianne and Connell are inexperienced and have trouble navigating their new, intense relationship. This leads to assumptions and misunderstandings between themselves and each other that reoccur a lot throughout their story.” 

“I would rate “Normal People” 4/5 stars and would definitely recommend this book to a friend,” Scannell said. 

Sophomore Sara Hernandez recently read “This Time Tomorrow” by Emma Straub.

“I found the book when I went to Barnes & Noble to shop for books. Hernandez said. “The cover looked really pretty so I picked it up and read the summary on the back of the book and I really enjoyed it.” 

“This Time Tomorrow” follows Alice Stern, a 40 year old woman living in the Upper West Side of Manhattan who works at a prestigious private school she attended years earlier. She’s content with her tiny studio apartment, her romantic status, her independence and her lifelong best friend. But, when her father falls ill, she feels as though something is missing. She wakes up one morning in her childhood bedroom, reliving her 16th birthday. She is surprised by her vital, and charming 40 year old father whom she is reunited with. 

“I think the themes of the novel touch on father-daughter relationships and how small choices can alter a life,” Hernandez said. “Time travel plays a huge part in this novel and it’s really interesting how Emma Straub uses it to her advantage.” 

“This novel is definitely 4.5/5 stars for me,” Hernandez said.  “I would recommend this novel to anyone looking for a fascinating story involving time travel.”

As book reading continues to grow, more authors continue to create works geared toward the readers of today. 

“I hope more teenagers start picking up books and reading, there’s such a variety of different kinds of books, there’s really something for everyone,” Hernandez said.