Maryam Hussain

Editor-in-Chief 2014-2015

Similar Stories

With my high school career coming to an end I can’t help but reflect on how many monumental life events it has marked for me. It’s the time period in which I made some amazing friends, learned to drive, got my first car, decided where I’m going for college, figured out what I want to do for a living in the future, and so much more.

It’s crazy to think about how incredibly fast time has flown by and how much I’ve learned and grown from all my experiences, mistakes, and adventures in the past four years. Just days from now I’ll be walking across the stage an entirely different person than I was when I walked across school the first day of freshman year, nervous and confused, desperately trying to find C hall. 

High school was a good time for me, and thinking back at all the memories makes me happy, but now I’m ready to move on to greater things.

— Maryam Hussain

Since then I have gained a whole new level of self confidence and managed to make one of the biggest decisions of my life: choosing to wear a hijab (head scarf) the summer before my senior year. Of course I was extremely nervous about it but no one was judgemental about it and I couldn’t be more grateful for that.

I think the moment I stopped constantly thinking about what’s on my head and what people must be thinking about it, and began focusing on what’s within my head, is the moment that best symbolizes my high school transformation.

High school was a good time for me, and thinking back at all the memories makes me happy, but now I’m ready to move on to greater things. Next year I will be attending The University of Houston as a journalism major and I couldn’t be more excited and anxious to see what the future holds for me. SO LONG BOWIE, I’M OUT!