Senior Goodbye: Anna Holme

Anna Holme, Editor-in-Chief

Community and belonging. The ability to be around those who empower and strengthen you. The presence of people who make you a better person. These are all things that plenty of people spend their whole lives trying to get even a taste of, but I’ve managed to find it during my short time here at Bowie. 

I honestly have no idea what caused me to sign up for the newspaper. Maybe it was because my older sister was in the class, maybe it was because I liked the idea of doing more photography. Maybe I was genuinely interested in journalism, or maybe I just needed to fill a space on my choice sheet. Who knows what my freshman self was thinking. But that doesn’t matter, because I know what I’m in this program for now. The people. Not just the interviewees who shape the stories I write, but the people who have allowed me to become the person I am today. So without further ado, let me thank some of those amazing people. Listen up! 

To Mr. Reeves: When I first arrived in this program, I just remember thinking, “man, this guy is intense!” Your passion was instantly palpable from the moment I walked through the door. Now, three years later, I see that intensity is truly just love. A love for what you do, a love for journalism, and a love for your staff. There are very few teachers who feel that strongly about their work, and there are very few teachers who will ever do as much for their students as you do. While I know you may have been a tad disappointed to find out that I am not majoring in journalism, I will take all the lessons you have taught me into my future. You have truly allowed me to truly discover my creative voice, and to follow the stories and paths that call to me. I can’t thank you enough.

To the leadership team: What is there to say? Rather, there is just too much to say. You all are the most hardworking and dedicated people I know. At the beginning of the year, I was excited, albeit very nervous, to work with you all on the paper. While I was a bit concerned about how all of our strong personalities would mesh, I can now confidently say that, while we are very chaotic, I have never been in a group with so much passion and devotion. Arushi, your liveliness and drive have taught me to not only embrace challenges, but to meet them with a smile. Corinne, your unwavering commitment and reliability have taught me what it truly means to give it your all. Sammie, your kindness and resilience have taught me to keep my heart full of love. Reagan, your confidence and easygoingness have taught me to have faith in myself and my abilities. Each of you has given me lessons that I know will serve me well in the future. For that, I am eternally grateful. I am so excited to see what’s next for y’all. Stay gold ladies, and thank you.

To The Dispatch staff: Oh, you lovely, lovely human beings. While I have had the honor of being one of your editor-in-chiefs this year, I have had the even greater honor of being one of your peers. I wouldn’t be anything without you all there to show me endless support and camaraderie. Whether I need a strong opinion, a question answered, or just someone to talk to, I know I will find someone in the newsroom to help. Dylan, my desk buddy, shout-out to you specifically, you have helped me get through a number of tough deadline weeks and I am so grateful to call you a friend. And to the staff as a whole, a huge thank you for your dedication and kindness.

To my family: The word “love” cannot describe how I feel. You all have been there with me every step of the way. Mom, Dad, Katie, your presence and support have been invaluable during my life’s journey. Whatever I’ve needed, whenever I’ve needed it, you all have been there for me. No matter how many times I try to write this paragraph, it will never be good enough. So I will just leave things here and say: thank you for being you, and I love you all to infinity and back. 

To my friends: You are all truly my people. Y’all are among the kindest, funniest, most intelligent, and loveliest people I have ever met. I have shared laughs, tears, and good times with all of you, and the memories we’ve shared will last a lifetime. I can’t wait to see what’s in store for y’all, and I hope you know that I will always be one of your biggest supporters. Love you always!

To my teachers: Educators truly make the world go around. I can not thank each and every one of you enough. You all have taught me to keep an open, curious, and enthusiastic mind. You have fostered my love for learning and been such an inspiration for everything that I do. Involved teachers beget involved students, and I know that without the support of my teachers I wouldn’t be where I am today. Once again, thank you so, so much.    

To the Bowie community: Thank you for being the centerpiece for everything I have ever written and created for this publication. Journalism isn’t about my story, but rather the stories of those who need to be heard. And let me tell you, this school has lots of stories worth sharing. While the ancient infrastructure of the academic building may be junk, and seeing cockroaches in my classrooms isn’t ideal, I have taken great pride in being able to dig deeper into the people that make this school great. So, thank you for being willing to share your stories with me.

Next year, I will be majoring in environmental science at the University of Texas here in Austin. While this chapter of my life may be coming to a close, I know that this is not the end of the line for me. So with a full heart, let me stand up from this beaten-up (yet exceptionally comfy) couch in the ever-iconic room F203, and walk out the door to discover what’s next. I could not be more excited.

With deepest sincerity, gratitude, and love,

Anna Holme