SAGA: Sexual and Gender Alliance

Lauren Bogard

Bowie’s SAGA chapter advocates for equality for personal and political rights for the LGBTQ+ community and the acceptance of gender identity.

Isabella Verette, J1 Reporter

SAGA, or the Sexual and Gender Alliance, is a club in schools all around the United States. The Bowie chapter of the club advocates for equality for personal and political rights for the LGBTQ+ community and the acceptance of gender identity. They strive to educate people about the things going on in the LGBTQ+ community and bring awareness to ongoing problems.

This is a safe place for anyone struggling with their sexuality, gender identity, or wanting to be around people who support students in every way, according to club members. 

“SAGA is important to me personally because I believe it is imperative to give LGBTQ+ students a safe place to be and express themselves,” senior SAGA student officer Tennyson Tole said. 

The club experienced a change in sponsor after returning from virtual learning last year. 

“I took over the club from the wonderful Mrs. McCaffrey who just had too many obligations to continue sponsoring it, like Bowie’s new SOAR club,” SAGA sponsor and English teacher Bree Rolfe said.

According to The Trevor Project, a nonprofit organization that supports LGBTQ+ youth, 75% of LGBTQ+ youth have experienced discrimination at least once in their lifetime. This discrimination affects everyone in the LGBTQ+ community, but can be even harder on kids and teens. 

“LGBTQ+ students are at a higher risk to engage with drugs, experience feelings of lonliness and otherness, and seriously consider or attempt suicide,” Tole said.

Combined with the political chaos surrounding gender and identity at the moment in the U.S., this club is a great way for these teens to re-enter the world with a group to support them, members indicated.

“This is a very safe place for LGBTQ+ students and allies,” Tole said. “Everyone is encouraged to express themselves and speak freely about their experiences.”