Singers show off their skills

Senior Joshua Stout and Senior Aubrey Goodwin sing their hearts in the packed theatre. They sang “Compass” by Lady Antebellum and were accompanied by a guitar player.

People quiet down, a spotlight appears on a person standing on the stage, and that person becomes the center of attention. During the night of Bowie Idol people lined up to get into the theatre to watch performers sing, dance, and put on a show for the audience.
Bowie Idol is an annual talent show that was held on Saturday April, 12th in the theatre and was organized by the choir and student council. The event shows all the different talents that Bowie has to offer.

Junior Alexis Antoniadis went to Bowie Idol for the very first time this year.
“This was my first year going,” Antoniadis said. “I almost didn’t want to go because I didn’t want to watch people sing for two hours. But, I got my money’s worth because it was amazing and I loved it.”

Bowie Idol raises money by selling tickets and concessions. The money goes directly to campus groups.
“This year in Bowie Idol we raised about $4000,” Student Council advisor Jimmy Ellerbrock said. “The money we raised for Bowie Idol gets split between the Student Council and Choir because they both do most of the work for the event.”
The winner for this year Bowie Idol was Junior Madelyne Martinez. Martinez has participated in Bowie Idol before and did not win but tried again this year and succeeded.

“I sang “Rolling in the Deep” by Adele, last year in Bowie Idol and got second place,” Martinez said. “This year I played piano and sang a “If I ain’t got you” by Alica Keys. I was very surprised when I won Bowie Idol because there was so much great talent and I thought everyone was good.”
The winner for Bowie Idol is announced in order of finish with first read last and Martinez was shocked by each runner-up.
“When they were announcing the winners they were going by runner-ups so after each runner up I was just happy they did not say my name, but when it was down to the two runner-ups and they were the comedy club and me and that was the point where I was just waiting to hear who was going to take home that trophy and gift card because we were both great,” Martinez said.
During Bowie Idol there were some problems with microphones not working.
“The only problem with the shows was the microphones. They were either way too loud or extremely quiet. This only happened a couple times so it didn’t completely ruin the show,” Antoiadis said.

People think that Bowie Idol is not an only for singing, since it sounds like American Idol but that’s not the case.
“Bowie Idol is not just a singing competition, and we don’t want it to look like just a singing competition.” Ellerbrock said. “ Bowie Idol is like a talent show. Not only do we want singers we want dancers, performers, skits, and many other performers to and I do not like how it is advertised because it makes it look like a singing and that is not what I want to show.”

The morning of the event Martinez had a problem with her voice, it was gone.
“The morning of the event I had lost my voice and I was so scared because I didn’t know what would happen like would I go and perform or would I not. So, I drank a ton of water and hot tea so my voice would come back and it ended up coming back and I sounded better in the performance than I did in the rehearsal,” Martinez said.

The winner of the show is split between judges and the audience. Judges pick the top groups and the audience votes online.
“To pick the winner of the event we first have judges experienced in many different categories, so at the end the judges pick five people who they thought were really good and then we have this website where the audience texts in the name of the person the wanted to win and then we would see who had won by the time voting was over which is about fifteen minutes,” Ellerbrock said, “This is the second year out of all ten years we have done this type of voting usually we would have the students circle a name and drop it in the vote and see who had won. This way is faster, accurate, and easier.” Ellerbrock said.

The event filled the auditorium seats and was a way for contestants to show off their talents and personalities.