Culinary bakes up spring goodies

Senior Will Hampton begins the procedure to make some treats. The money raised from these treats is to keep the department running.

The first annual spring bake sale was a success.  The Fall Bulldog Bakery has been going on for 15 years.

Head of the whole production was Chef Richard Winemiller.
“I like to think that our culinary events are part of creating a community feel at Bowie where a lot of people come together to share in a common experience,” Winemiller said.  “I think it’s important that my students are involved in the public customer service side of the culinary industry, not just the cooking.”

The culinary chefs were able to expand the menu and come up with new items to sell this year.
“We go to pick the items we wanted to make for the students this sale,” senior Laura Philips said.  “For this bakery we got to do cakes and cupcakes rather than doing quick breads or muffins that we do at the Fall Bakery, so it was fun to do new things.”

For the students, it was a time to enjoy delicious baked goods prepared by the culinary department.  However, for Philips and the other chefs, it was a time of anxiety and hard work, but it all paid off.
“Since this was the first year, there was definitely some rough patches and it didn’t go as smoothly as we hoped, so it was pretty stressful throughout the week, but it all turned out okay,” Philips said.
The stress didn’t just affect the chefs.
“This particular version actually lost money due to some issues with planning and kitchen production,” Winemiller said.

The money raised goes to the department to keep it running.
“Most of our events are designed to basically break even, providing enough money to pay for the ingredients so we can continue to cook,” Winemiller said.  “My goal is to provide my students with as many opportunities to cook and serve as possible as that is the absolute best way to learn and hone your culinary skills.”

Prior to the sale, the chefs started preparing a month in advance by writing recipes and planning.  They began baking and final prep the week before the bake sale.
“I always like the kitchen aspect of every event because I enjoy cooking, baking and the fast-paced environment,” Winemiller said.  “While it is not the most exciting part, it is the planning that is probably most important overall.  In culinary, it’s called Mise en Place.”

The treats were sold to students during first and second lunch.  Cakes, cookies, pastries, pies and many other unique desserts were sold, but one was the most popular throughout the campus.
“Cupcakes sold the most but that was because they were one of the cheaper options,” junior Colin Zibelin said.  “Those were totally wiped out by the time we were done selling to classrooms.”
Overall, the bakery raised a lot of money for the school and was a way for students to acknowledge the culinary department for all their hard work and effort.  The department plans on making it an annual event.