Spencer Cobb showcases ‘power of the written word’

Creative writing student and classmate of Cobb, Lindsey Sageser works on a writing project for the class. Creative writing students practice their skills with free write assignments and story writing.

Rhyming, reading, and constantly staying inspired junior Spencer Cobb uses her inner creativity to spur her natural gift of writing as she enters contests to showcase her talents.

Cobb recently won an Honorable mention through The Alliance for Young Artists and Writers organization for a poem success. Contributing to Cobb’s writing is her ability to take what she sees in her mind and craft it into a piece of art with nothing but a pen and her creativity.

“I think that there are a lot of universal truths that all kind of writers try to tell, but the way that we tell them sets us apart,” junior Cobb said. “I try to keep what I write simple, but full of meaning.  Every word I use symbolizes a bigger picture.  I also try to include several different messages in what I write, and I think that as I grow older and mature, this will become easier to do.”

Creative writing teacher, Bree Rolfe, has allowed Cobb’s writing to excel with encouraging feedback and support along with maintaining a great teacher-student relationship full of inspiration.
“A student like Spencer is every teacher’s dream—she’s gifted, thoughtful, passionate and always a willing participant in my class,” Rolfe said. “She is not only gifted, but she understands that being gifted is not enough for success in writing or life for that matter. She works hard to improve her writing and I think that is even more important than having natural talent.”

Cobb’s ability to write comes equipped with a fervent passion and random ignites of imagination.
“I draw inspiration from everywhere and generally, when I get an idea, it’s pretty random,” Cobb said. “I write a poem four or five separate times, and take pieces and chunks I like from each version to put them together. I have a small journal filled with the most random ideas, but it helps to go back and read when I’m suffering from a particularly stubborn bout of writer’s block.”

Fellow student, senior Guthrie Schoolar, admires Cobb’s sense of work ethic and level of maturity by rooting for her on the sidelines as she continues to make an impact.

“Spencer tends to keep what she writes about on her free time to herself, but she often tells me her writing has a lot to do about me, so I take that as a compliment,” Scholar said. “Spencer has constantly been changing as a person throughout high school from a shy little bookworm to a wonderfully polite and humble woman. She is on a maturity level of her own, very much above the rest of the junior class, and it shows in her writing and compassion towards others.”
Cobb summons up her energy and aspirations of writing into hoping to spread her own unique message throughout her work.

“I have a very imaginative mind; I’m one of those people who create entire stories in my head when I’m trying to fall asleep,” Cobb said.  “I write because there are messages and values that I believe are important, and I want to spread them in a way that’s entertaining and fun to read.  I think it’s my way to make an impact on the world.”