Germany to U.S: A new culture

Luise Hackmann, Reporter

Almost half of my time in the US has already passed and the time went by very fast. That’s why I want to talk about a few differences between Germany and Texas that I have noticed so far.

First of all everything is much bigger here. I love the huge stores like Walmart and Target, because I can buy everything in there. In Germany I would have to go to different smaller stores. The streets and of course the cars are much bigger too.

School is different too. In Germany we can’t really choose our classes. I am together with the same 25 students everyday and we all have the same classes. My school usually starts much earlier than here (7:30 a.m.) but therefore it sometimes ends at 12:45 p.m., which is great because I have the whole afternoon to do something else.

I’ve also noticed some differences with food. There are many more fast food places in the US. We don’t have for example “Wendy’s”, “Chick-fil-A” or “Taco Bell” in Germany. Mexican food is much bigger and of course better here too. I ate my first “peanut butter jelly sandwich” here and it was new for me that everyone puts ice in their drinks.

Another difference is the weather. In Germany it is very cold and dark during the winter. In the north we only get a little bit of snow but usually we have it at least one day a year. Here it is something really special. I love the warm temperatures and the sunshine over here and I will definitely miss that in the next few years.

I am looking forward to getting to know more of the culture here and to experience new things in the US.