Science-savy senior wins first place in UIL Contest

Miller shows her academic ability in physics, chemistry, and biology tests

Senior Samantha Miller is hard at work on her computer in her Graphic Design and Illustration class. Along with this class, she is also taking three AP classes.

The class of 2014’s Samantha Miller placed first in physics, chemistry, and tied for first in biology, as well as first place overall at the UIL invitational held earlier this year. Bowie competed in Science UIL for the first time in 2013.

The Science Contest is a 60-question multiple-choice test that challenges students to understand the true significance of experiments in biology, chemistry and physics, rather than to regurgitate details from a textbook, according to the UIL website.

The tests offer the most extensive academic competition the nation, constructed in hopes of directing students to gain a better understanding of the basic principles, philosophy and the actual knowledge of the history beneath the science realm, continued the document continued.

“I love analyzing everything that goes on around me, I’m constantly thinking about things in a different aspect,” Miller said. “Growing up with science, going to science seminars and building circuits as a kid is where it all originated.”
Although Miller owns neither pets, nor has a Netflix account, she utilizes her spare time programing. Getting a head start on her dream career as in her free time she reads the Adobe textbook for Intro to Computer Science class at The University of Texas at Austin. Studying is also one of her fortes, aside from being in organizations and clubs around school.
Miller manages her jam-packed schedule of classes such as AP BC Calculus, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Physics, Creative Writing and Graphic Design and Illustration.

Miller may be in NHS and work quantum mechanics with ease, but she too has her own kryptonite.
“I would describe myself as being caring, quiet, and an introvert. I keep to myself with a book in hand,” Miller said. “I’d have to say I am horrible at Microbiology; I kill plants.”

With her father has a Doctorate in Philosophy in chemistry, it’s as if Miller was pre-destined to pursue a life in a science related field. Being academically well rounded and growing up in the middle of a thriving technology era, she found her calling in the early stages of high school. She took what she thought of as being extremely interesting math at a higher level and a device with a hard drive, a motherboard, a CPU and a RAM. And there, becoming a computer programmer became her goal.
“Find what you love, do it, and make sure it makes money. Because sadly that’s all that our world revolves around,” Miller said. “Computer Science sets up possible scenarios of problems with algorithms as solutions to a source of problem, similar to a Rubix cube.”

At last year’s UIL invitational Miller failed to make it to district. She took that defeat and spent hours studying and reviewing. Miller qualified for this year’s Science UIL district on this past March 22.
“Samantha strives to correct any failures by going directly to the source of the mistake and in a sense corrects it to the best of her abilities,” junior Nathan Alvarez Olson said.

People, who have witnessed her develop, see alternative possible variables for the line of work they think she’d do well in ultimately demonstrating her academic versatility.

“I believe Samantha will pursue science as a career. I see her studying hard and scoring well on the MCAT or applying to do graduate level research,” university teacher Hope Lozano said.

This year’s team consisted of six student members, four seniors and two of the highest scoring juniors. Miller was part of the trio of the best science students at Bowie, winning 2nd place in district, the highest the science team had ever placed. Miller and her team beat Lake Travis High School, but came short against Westlake High School.

“Samantha’s work ethic is what sets her apart from others. She’s willing to read a textbook to find extra information when her peer’s would never consider such a feat. As a teacher, sometimes the best thing we can do is get out of the way and let kids lunge for success,” Lozano said. “Last year, Samantha was the only student who had been in AP biology. I asked her if she would be willing to go over meiosis and mitosis with her teammates before one of the invitational. I thought she would just remind them of the steps, but she went above and beyond that. She created in depth prizes that included visuals for each topic. I was so impressed, but then when I think about it – that’s the type of work ethic she’s always shown.”