Teacher day in the life during a pandemic

Shikha Patel

COVID-19 has caused difficulties to arise in everyone’s lives, however, being back in the classroom, regardless teaching virtually or not, has benefitted many teachers. 

Grace Harris, Reporter

With the sudden and drastic changes brought about by the global pandemic, students struggle with learning online. However, when faced with completely readjusting their way of educating their students, teachers experience the new challenge as well.

Although often forgotten, teachers deal with similar challenges as students in the face of online learning. Geometry teacher, Katherine Rodriguez explains the major differences in her class this year. 

“One of the major differences this year is that I don’t have as many student presentations happening.” Rodriguez said.

Hosting classes on the platform zoom, limits the options teachers have when attempting to collaboratively engage students. 

“I love when students are teaching other students, but it has been a little more difficult to foster that collaboration over zoom. I think we are getting better at it though” Rodriguez said.

The pandemic has brought unfortunate circumstances, however has given some a new positive perspective.

“I have learned to appreciate teaching on a whole new level. I definitely love my job, but I didn’t realize how much I would miss teaching in person so much,” Rodriguez said. 

Teachers experience virtual learning alongside their students, sophomore, Shelly Kleinerman, advocates for students during this tough time.

“I think students have it harder during the pandemic because we have to adjust to new topics as well as a new learning method and environment.” Kleinerman said. “Teachers are still teaching the same topics and only have to adapt to a new teaching method.”

However, sophomore, Sami Sagebiel, disagrees and empathizes for teachers during the pandemic.

“Teachers have to work twice as hard to communicate with their students on what to get done as well as how to do assignments,” Sagebeil explains, “Along with the fact that they have to teach the material to a bunch of black screens all day.”

It is obvious that the drastic changes brought by COVID-19 influence students’ relationships with their teachers, sophomore Carter White explains the differences in his communication with teachers in comparison to the previous school year.

“I like to develop a sort of even ground with my teachers as if they’re a friend who’s helping me and my peers learn new things. But, due to remote learning, I don’t really have the opportunity to talk and and learn more about my teachers because of our confinement into a chatroom,”  White said 

Sagebiel is having a similar experience when building relationships with her advisors.

“I feel I’m not as close with my teachers this year. I think by this time last year I was joking around with the teachers constantly… but now I feel like that’d just be weird,” Sagebiel said.

Virtually learning and teaching over zoom minimizes the important interaction teachers have with their students as well, Rodriguez shares her experience in building relationships this year. 

“I miss all the small conversations that happen in the classroom. I feel like it has taken longer to get to know my students this year than it has in the past.”

In addition to a lesser personal connection to teachers, students and teachers can only communicate virtually, yet another inideal aspect of virtual learning. 

I have to basically write an email and wait to hear back instead of having live and in person answers to my questions, which isn’t ideal and less beneficial,” White said.

Despite the lack of a close bond with his teachers, White appreciates the teachers quick adjustment to online instructing.

“I think that teachers have adapted extremely well to these circumstances. I would expect it would take them a while to adjust to only online attendance and assignments, but they have handled it very well and I’m grateful for that,” White said.

Most students agree that teachers are adapting well to the circumstances and appreciate their dedication. 

“Teachers are working to accommodate students and their needs, but also give a lot of work that is hard to keep up with and learn online.” Kleinerman said.

“I am so happy to be back with students, and honestly teaching is definitely one of the things keeping me positive during COVID-19!”