AISD ‘Let’s Talk’ enables students to express concerns

Amorah Schultze, Graphics Editor

‘Let’s Talk’ is an AISD initiative to improve student communication and foster a safe environment through the Report Bullying and School Safety Concerns form. Bowie released this form in November of this year to support students during Covid-19 distanced learning.

The form focuses on student input for bullying, delinquent activity, and violent behavior.

“Oftentimes, the fear of retribution keeps people from reporting bullying or other inappropriate behavior, so keeping it anonymous can help people feel more comfortable,” junior Chris Thompson said.

Senior Isabelle Cisneros believes the reporting system is more likely to be used by concerned friends and students, not a victim or an aggressor.

“You don’t want to be the friend that paints a target on your friend’s back [because] that would be really counterintuitive,” Cisneros said. “If the bullied kid doesn’t want to say something. The AISD form gives their friends a chance to help them out without causing feelings of betrayal or mistrust.”

‘Let’s Talk’ requires at least a contact email, to follow-up on any dangerous or unsafe situations between students. The form encourages students to report any type of harassment, cyberbullying, discrimination, dating violence, or any other kind of bullying that they see.

“The reality is that principals, counselors, and officers alone cannot ensure the safety of all students,” Vice Principal Aaron Vohl said. “It is only through the trust and support of our entire community that we can promote the safest environment possible.”

In addition to immediate protection against bullying, the safety concerns portion of the form allows students to voice their worries over general COVID-19 protocol. The specific subjects mentioned in the form are victims/aggressors of bullying, individual student safety, weapon-holding, gang activity, or drug dealing, but there’s also an “Other” section for any issues not included.

“I reported about how [Bowie administration] cram us in the library,” Cisneros said. “If I’m going to [social distance] to prevent the spread of any pathogens. It isn’t good for me to be closer to people just because of the rule.”

In Cisneros ‘Let’s Talk’ form, she voiced her reservations about how students are socially distanced when not in class.

“I feel less unsafe with the students in a classroom together not [socially] distanced,” Cisneros said. “I’m lucky because I’m usually the only one in a classroom. But I’ve heard from teachers that normally the classrooms are full.”

Her last question addressed the precautions in place to limit at-school attendance and prevent students who’ve contracted Covid-19 from spreading it throughout Bowie’s campus.

“It’s not very hard to lie on [the screening test],” Cisneros said. “Yes, they do take your temperature, but it’s a very flimsy system. We’re high school students, and high school students are known to lie quite a lot.”

Cisneros is not the only person to have concerns about on-site safety.

“I reported that I felt unsafe with the current in-person learning plan,” Thompson said. “Many teachers and students have to attend physical learning,  because the administration requires it or they don’t have the technology to do online school. Seeing how many people in America are downplaying the seriousness of Covid has made me hyper-aware of the possibility of transmissions, so I’m worried that one student could spread it to many other students and teachers.”

‘Let’s Talk’ student contact info is required because the school wants to leave open the opportunity for suggestions from students.

“I think the administration should return to the previous pod system where everyone at school was in one classroom the entire time,” Thompson said. “That would greatly limit the amount of people everyone is exposed to and reduce the possibility of getting Covid-19.”

The constant feedback from both students and parents enables AISD to respond to the unique problems that occur during this pandemic.

“Some have truly been able to be successful and even flourish in these circumstances,” Vohl said. “Others have really struggled (motivation, depression, access to technology and positive learning environment).”

AISD promotes this system in order to break through during a time of limited face-to-face communication. Vohl believes that this form can produce positive benefits for the school and the community.

“We try to be proactive with sharing all available resources with our community, as well as reaching out to families and students that we recognize need some support,” Vohl said. “Ultimately, we  want to see all of our students be successful.”