Seniors plan to obtain dream careers

Hovanky takes a pathway to finding future success

Senior Vanna Hovanky performs MTT assay to measure whether yeast cells are alive or dead after a particular type of treatment. Hovanky has developed a potential treatment strategy for colon cancer using particular elements of bacterial gene therapy. Yeast cells were used due to the similarities to human cells and their practical and cost-effective nature.

Having over 1,150 hours, nearly three years worth, of laboratory experience on cancer research at the University of Texas in Austin, being the first  high school student to win an award at the UT Austin Undergraduate Research Forum, and having officially been accepted for publication in an upcoming issue of the Journal of Young Investigators for “Carbonic Anhydrase IV: Discovering Novel Therapeutic Cancer Agents” research paper are some of the many things senior Vanna Hovanky has accomplished before ending her last academic year on campus.

Hovanky plans to become a physician-scientist, a doctor who conducts research and treats patients, in the future. She hopes to bring novel treatments from lab bench to patient bedside.

“My goal is to become a physician-scientist because of my passion in biology and research and my desire to interact with patients,” Hovanky said.

In Hovanky’s first science class on campus she developed a strong interest in the field. Leading her to weave herself into more science-related programs.

“I joined the UT Austin High School Summer Research Academy in 2011 as a rising sophomore,” Hovanky said. “At first, the university lab was an alien environment to me. I maneuvered around the lab precariously, silently hoping all the while I wouldn’t catch myself on fire with the Bunsen burner and spill chemicals everywhere. However, I was fortunate in having a professor and a number of undergraduate students mentor me, teaching me how to work in the lab without fear and to be confident in my newfound knowledge and skills. The once foreign lab became a second home for me. I soon found the bright fluorescent lighting, the rhythmic thumping of the water bath, and the subtle scent of disinfectant endearing rather than intimidating as I started spending hundreds of hours on my student-originated cancer research projects.”

At the genetics update conference by Sam Rhine held on campus in 2012, Hovanky remembers his words that sparked an inspirational moment.

“Sam Rhine’s lecture really resonated with me when he showed us the mortality rates of people with cancer,” Hovanky said. “He displayed a slide with all the death rates turning into zeroes and said ‘someday in your lives, you will get to see this happen – and you can help do this.’ At the time, I may have been only a high school sophomore with much left to learn, but I already had the opportunity to try to make a difference. Every bit of research contributes to collective scientific understanding. When I experienced this epiphany, it put everything into perspective.”

Hovanky received the first place award in both Bowie and Austin Regional Science Fairs in 2011, 2012, and 2013, also winning the Best of Fair Award at the Austin Regional Science Fair in 2012 and 2013.

“Winning science fair or making my parents proud didn’t matter as much to me,” Hovanky said. “Having a purpose to my life and being a part of medical innovations that could change or even save lives meant far more to me. I developed a passion for science, made lifelong friends, and connections, and enjoyed the whole process – these meant more to me than any grade or award could have.”

At the 2013 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair Hovanky placed 2nd Place in Special Awards – American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists and 4th Place Grand Prize in Medicine and Health.

“It’s a huge accomplishment to place at that level of competition,” chemistry teacher Hope Lozano said. “She was all business. She practiced extensively to be able to explain her experiment to the judges. Since she was on top of things, she left me with little to do.”
Hovanky has spent 40 hours of medically related shadowing.

“While I was shadowing a doctor of internal medicine, a patient came in complaining about knee pain caused by her osteoarthritis,” Hovanky said. “The doctor briefly left the room and I was able to have a conversation with her. Although she was in tears when the doctor had left, she began to smile as we talked about her grandchildren. Interacting with patients such as this one during my shadowing experience has made me confident that I want to pursue a career as a physician-scientist in addition to conducting research. I realized that my dream is to be a kind and compassionate doctor who would make patients feel like they’re being listened to, understood, and cared for as well as a doctor who researches, diagnoses, and treats their diseases.”

Hovanky plans to attend Stanford University in the fall. Stanford is listed by Forbes’ “6th Annual Ranking of America’s Top Colleges” as the #1 university of the nation, accepting only 2,138 students out of 42,167 applicants this year, yielding a 5.07% acceptance rate. Making Stanford more selective than Yale, Princeton, Cornell, MIT, Brown, Columbia, and Rice.

“I am so grateful for the high quality education I have received from Bowie,” Hovanky said. “I want to thank all of the amazing teachers at Bowie. I wouldn’t have been able to do it without them – their dedication in teaching. Their support for me over these past four years have not only opened the doors to opportunities I thought I could only ever dream about, but also shaped the way I think by inspiring me to ask questions and explore the world around me – to love learning.”

Van Pham, Hovanky’s mother, states she is happy to see Hovanky’s developing passion for research.
“I am so happy to see Vanna  going on the path to become a doctor,” Pham said. “She has always enjoyed reading fairy tales and it’s wonderful to see that she’s working hard to make her dreams come true.”