Inspired by the Olympic athletes

For the twenty-second time, the Winter Olympics are taking place, including events ranging from competitive figure skating to ice hockey, beginning on Feb. 6, and ending on Feb. 23. Though not as celebrated as the Summer Olympics, the games are inspiring, and of high importance to just as many aspiring athletes.

Among the football, basketball, and soccer players, there are also students that participate in winter sports. One of these students is senior Cassidy Serio, who says that she has been skating for eight years.

“It’s competitive figure skating. I take classes, and have competed before,” Serio said.
Despite the warm climate of Texas, multiple students around school participate in sports that would be associated with colder climates. Among these sports are various forms of ice skating.

“I have been a skater for 12 years,” freshman Maude Clautier said. “I became a skater because my big sister was a skater, and I would watch her do all those skating moves, which inspired me.”

All skaters had a start somewhere, whether they began at the age of two, or if their time on the ice has passed. This interest may have been from anywhere, a friend, family member, or from someone else.

The latter is the case with freshman Ellie Prager, who is no longer a skater.
“One of my elementary school friends took me skating once, and I automatically fell in love with it,” Prager said. “I started at one of the most basic levels. I enjoyed it because it’s a solo sport, so there is always room for self-improvement. I also like the cold.”
With the Winter Olympics in the near future, many high school athletes may find themselves inspired.
“Back when I was skating, I was incredibly inspired by the Winter Olympics,” Prager said. “I really loved watching their technique and wondering how long they spent to get that good.”

This inspiration can go as far as to make an athlete want to participate in the Olympics themselves, though it may seem unrealistic age-wise.

“I love watching all of that stuff, all of the pros who skate,” Serio said. “It definitely helps you know that, oh, I can be good. I love watching Jeremy Abbott, and Ashley Wagner, who are both going to the Olympics this year, so hopefully they’ll place. I’m probably too old, so that won’t happen, which is sad, since I’m in high school. But yeah, probably not.”
Competitive skating, much like other sports, seems to have a positive impact on the athlete’s confidence. This, at least, is the case with Serio and Claudier.

“Some athletes that inspire me are Patrick Chan, Joannie Rochette, [and] Sasha Cohen,” Clautier said. “They affect me by making me feel confident about myself, especially Polina [Shelepen] because the first time I saw her skate was at a world championship, and she won second place after Gracie Gold, although she was only 15 years old.”