The balance between school and sports

Reagan Zuniga

“The sports are really time-consuming, so sometimes I have to push back homework for the morning assignments due, or I don’t have as much time to do it so I sometimes rush and don’t do as well,” Munoz said.

Reagan Zuniga, Reporter

Several students take on the challenge of participating in multiple school sports. Practices are usually daily and can sometimes affect student’s academics by having leverage on their course selection and limiting their time to do homework or assignments missed because of games. Sophomore Natalie Munoz is part of the cross country, soccer, and track teams and has experienced the effects sports can have on one’s academics.

“The sports are really time-consuming, so sometimes I have to push back homework for the morning assignments due, or I don’t have as much time to do it so I sometimes rush and don’t do as well,” Munoz said. “Since harder classes normally give more work, and I don’t have as much time for that so [being in multiple sports] makes me have to take easier classes.”

Sports such as Football and Basketball are right after one another and even require a schedule change for those in both. Junior Jason Gaines is on both varsity football and basketball and doesn’t find it hard to balance his attention to one over the other.

“I don’t prioritize football over basketball or vice versa during the seasons; during football season I’m only focused on football and during basketball I’m only focused on basketball,” Gaines said. “But I do think I can go further in football and when it comes to college I only want to play football.”

Although sports can be time-consuming, being involved in multiple sports can allow for more opportunities to be discovered by colleges. Sophomore Danny Rodriguez is on both varsity football and baseball and feels that being in both will improve his recruiting process.

“There are completely different aspects and skill sets of both sports and by playing both, I work out different parts of my body, making me an overall better athlete which I think colleges will be able to see,” Rodriguez said. 

By being involved in multiple sports, one gets exposed to different experiences as opposed to only being in one or none at all which can help them outside of sports as well.

“Being involved in two sports makes me a better overall teammate and person because I learned how to connect with people that are from different backgrounds and personalities,” Rodriguez said. “I’m more adaptive too and willing to take on new things because within the sports I play I have to constantly switch skill sets.”