Around Town with Amelie

Discovering the streets of West Campus and exploring the Drag

Amelie Hayne, Dispatch Reporter

Located on the western edge of the University of Texas campus lies Guadalupe Street, more commonly known as the Drag. There are plenty of fun and exciting things to do and is home to a variety of different local shops and restaurants.

If you are looking for a good bite to eat, tucked away just behind the University Co-op bookstore and Guadalupe street on 411 W. 23rd St is a collection of food trucks at the Co-Op Food Court. The food trucks provide budget-friendly options with a wide range of styles of food to choose from.

There are plenty of different food options, but a common favorite is the Don Japanese Kitchen truck, which is known for its donburi, also known as Japanese rice bowls. Another good choice is Song la, a Taiwanese truck that provides authentic street food, that offers pork belly buns, bubble tea, and other traditional Taiwanese snack foods.

If you’re looking to feed your sweet tooth, try Ice Scrapers, which sells fancy rolled ice cream creations and shaved ice. Make sure that you don’t miss out on the great and affordable food offered at the University Co-Op Food park.

Space 24 Twenty is an event space, shopping center and dining experience all in one. Every month they host yoga in the yard at sunset and have had pop-up markets, live shows, tarot readings, and so much more. Space 24 Twenty is also home to Urban Outfitters, Lucky Lab Coffee Co, and Left Wing.

Make sure to check out Monkies Vintage & Thrift for all your thrifting needs. The store has affordable prices, a wide variety of unique items, and new pieces are added weekly. Just down the road, you can find Buffalo Exchange and Flamingos Vintage Pound, which are located right across the street from each other.

Buffalo Exchange is filled with a wide range of clothing, accessories, shoes and more for any occasion. The store is full of a selection of vintage, new and gently used pieces, the store also allows the opportunity for customers to sell their clothes for cash or store credit.

Flamingos Vintage Pound is relatively new to the Drag. The store is home to styles and pieces from the 40s to 90s. Flamingos sets itself apart by selling its clothing and accessories by the pound. However, some items are sold individually. The store also does altercations to make some shirts and sweatshirts into cropped items that are available for purchase at around $10 to $15.

For over 30 years, Antone’s Record Shop continues to be a local treasure and popular attraction of The Drag. With a wide selection of CDs, used vinyl records, accessories, and an emphasis on blues and local artists, Antone’s is a great stop for music lovers of all kinds.

West Campus is home to all of these amazing hot spots, making it worth the trip.