Bowie collaborates with UT to create a rain garden

Engineering students from the University of Texas and Bowie’s Student Council will undertake a unique real world project early next year when they work together to create a rain garden.
A rain garden is a shallow depression that is usually designed and placed in an urban environment to help give the ground an opportunity to absorb water, ultimately to recharge local aquifers.
“There were some checking done as to what high school in Austin had a gardening culture, I love that expression,” teacher James Ellerbrock said. “Somebody told them that Bowie High School did gardening.”
The decision was made that UT students would come to Bowie and work with the student council to design and make a rain garden here on campus.
“I think it’s great, I think it’s going to be awesome, although it will take a lot of work,” Ellerbrock said.
The two main teachers working with the project are Ellerbrock and science teacher Jill Harding. Both are anxious to see the final product.
The construction will take approximately four to five hours and will happen in January.
In November Harding was initially contacted by the city of Austin’s Watershed Protection Department’s representative Jessica Willson.
“We literally walked around the campus and looked for places where a water garden would be appropriate,” Harding said.
Three groups of four engineering students from UT had to come up with an imaginative water garden that would compel the school representatives to pick theirs.
With a canvas of 60 acres and three final ideas, the Student Council finally chose the best one.
“It’ll be located adjacent to the solar classroom, between the E and F wing,” Ellerbrock said.
The garden will contain Bicolor Iris, Cherry Sage, White Obedient Plant and Pigeonberry plants.
“We are excited to continue the beautification of the campus,” Ellerbrock said.