Halloween Costumes

Halloween+is+here+and+students+are+enthusiastic+about+the+holidays.+Halloween+is+the+one+time+a+year+where+students+have+the+freedom+to+be+anyone+they%E2%80%99d+like.+Art+by+Natalie+Cullen+

Halloween is here and students are enthusiastic about the holidays. Halloween is the one time a year where students have the freedom to be anyone they’d like. Art by Natalie Cullen

Anna Sacy, J1 Reporter

With October being here, Halloween is just around the corner and students are enthusiastic about the holidays. Halloween is the one time a year where students have the freedom to be anyone they’d like.

“For Halloween I wasn’t going to do anything too extravagant,” freshman Serena Cuzze said. “I was just going to do something with contacts and possibly some fake blood.” 

Some students believe that their are some restrictions for costumes that will prevent them to do or use certain things in their costumes.

“As far as possible costume rules at Bowie, fake weapons and props like that will probably be prohibited,” Cuzze said. “Along with school appropriate costumes that don’t show a lot of skin. And the possibility of not allowing special effects makeup.”

When it comes to unique costume ideas, some believe that original characters and concepts such as cosplay (when people dress and act as fictional characters) are pretty cool and unique costume ideas.

“When it comes to costume ideas, I’ve always been tired of the whole ‘sexy zombie’ concept,” Ford said. “Every year I’ve always seen the same zombie thing.” 

From the opinion of predictable costumes, some said that it depends on the person. But she believes that for the most part, costumes are always pretty predictable. 

“When you grow up, you often put less effort into Halloween because you’re often occupied with other things,” Ford said. “Things such as jobs and earning money can be more of a concern then putting effort into Halloween.”

While students have the freedom to be who they want, on campus there are restrictions. Administration put these restrictions into action to be able to fully identify a student, no face paint or masks, and there is also a restriction to the props, no weapons or anything that can be perceived as dangerous.

“I think that students at Bowie will attempt to break the dress code rules,” sophomore Kira Sanders said. “Some students might attempt to wear inflatable dinosaur suits. I always see them every year.” 

Some said that teenagers are more likely to wear inappropriate things on Halloween because it’s ‘what they do’. 

“When it comes to costumes,” Sanders  said. “ They can be fun and effortless, but sometimes they can look idiotic when done in a certain way.”