VSCO girls and the effects of stereotypes on teenagers

Brianna Lopez

VSCO READY: Sophomore Samantha Cordova poses with her scrunchies and Polaroid camera. These items have become defining characteristics of the VSCO stereotype.

Maya Amador, Reporter

To listen to the latest podcast on VSCO girls and TikTok teens click here!

Hearing the bang of a Hydro Flask hit the ground has become as common as hearing sneakers skid the floor.

Hydro Flask sales went up almost 10 percent last year with their overall housewares sales reaching $418.1 million, according to SGB Media. Some people might heavily credit this increase in sales to a new trend, VSCO girls.

If you haven’t heard of a VSCO girl, there’s a chance you might have seen one. They’re typically teenage girls who wear oversized t-shirts with Birkenstocks, scrunchies on their wrist, and lets not forget the VSCO girl staples, a Hydro Flask and metal straw.

They’re known for their peppy personality and having a sort of cult-like feel when they are all together due to their similar look from one to the next. The term VSCO actually comes from a photo editing app created in 2011 called VSCO. VSCO girls have been known to use the app for every photo they post on Instagram. Even going as far as to create special photo shoot hangouts out of old attics, sheds, or closets to capture the perfect VSCO photo.

This trend, like you probably can guess, became very popular through social media. One app in particular that has run wild with this trend is TikTok.

TikTok is an app where you can lip sync to songs for up to fifteen seconds. Many have used the app to create their own memes and various types of other content such as singing, dancing, and art videos.

Other than VSCO girls, TikTok has cultivated other trends such as E-boys and E-girls who are known for adorning multiple amounts of chains along with baggy plaid pants. With these stereotypes and trends of course comes people who make fun of them. If you spend five minutes on TikTok you’ll find someone doing their impression of a VSCO girl, poking fun at how all VSCO girls appear the same.

Stereotypes are nothing new. It’s easier to group people together and to write them all off as being the same. Teenage girls in general often get labeled as obsessive, cringey, and basic. For years it is been embarrassing to enjoy a genre of music or a T.V. show in fear of being labeled a crazy fangirl. We often forget that girls are the ones fueling the hype, it is the young girls who create tomorrow’s legends.

For example, Elvis and The Beatles are considered some of the most influential musicians of all time and who is responsible for their initial success? Teen girls.

While men experience this stereotyping too, the entertainment content that young girls enjoy often gets labeled as less intelligent. In fact, the National Institutes Of Health states that compared to boys, girls are twice as likely to experience depression by the age of 16. It’s becoming alarmingly clear that this harassment of young girls is having some sort of effect. Depression isn’t just something to brush off as a part of life. A poor mental state can affect every aspect of your life, causing you to put off work or in some cases develop severe anxiety, suicidal thoughts, or other serious repercussions.

One of the most important parts of growing up is about self discovery. If you don’t try new things without worrying about what others think, you might miss out on something you might really enjoy.

If scrunchies and oversized t-shirts are your thing, no one should stop you from doing that. Even if you grow up to regret some questionable fashion choices, at least you could say you were your most authentic self.