Pop culture vs things that matter

Gracie Angeli, Staff Writer

In the Journalism world, the rush to get the most exclusive and scandalous information on pop culture topics, like celebrities and politics, overshadows the important news, which often gets ignored as a result. News websites, magazines, social media accounts, and all other public outlets are desperate in grasping the reader’s attention, no matter the cost.

People dying, cities dealing with mass destruction, and those living in poverty are lost in the shuffle of stories, written only to make money. Even though most widely broadcasted news sources do inform readers of global issues, pop culture gossip will usually make the front page. Pop culture should be valued less than it is currently.

The public, including students and parents, would all be more informed and aware of what’s going on in the world if entertainment was considered less valuable than real news. While Portugal, Spain, and California are experiencing mass wildfires, the stories written about twitter battles and celebrity engagements are making the front page. If stories on the fires were considered more important, they would be more widely broadcasted, which would allow more people to actually be aware of them and their impact.

Does pop culture really matter? Why do we care about what celebrities are wearing? Maybe it’s because we don’t want to face reality and the saddening fact that our world can be corrupt? The stories written on celebrities and their perfect, dramatic lives distract from how imperfect human beings really are.

While stories are being written on Kylie Jenner and her sister’s pregnancy, an impactful story on the Mogadishu bombings could open the public’s eyes and even provide help to Mogadishu in some way.

Stories about celebrities and what they’re wearing or who they’re interacting with can be heartwarming and fun to read, but they shouldn’t replace the ones that actually make an impact.

People will never read a story that doesn’t have quick, easy access, nor will they read what they’re never given access to at all. News outlets need to take advantage of their position and the reach they have across the world. The position should be mainly used to help and inform others, not gossip about famous people.

News businesses want people to be talking about their product and to spread the word, but the word doesn’t just have to be about pop culture. Celebrities will be widely discussed, but what positive purpose does gossiping about people you don’t even know have? Not that it usually has a negative purpose, but the power of expression and freedom of speech could be used for so much more. It could be used to help others and to spread knowledge.

Just in America alone, if we took advantage of our technology and connection with the rest of the world, we could get up to date with current world events and be open to important, newsworthy information. News on current events should be taken seriously by more people.

If both Journalists and the public were to seek the important information on what’s going on in America and other countries, it would be easier to improve the world we live on.