New 7-eleven on major intersection

Anna Holmes

What was once an empty lot on the side of Slaughter Lane is now an opened 7/11 gas station, conveniently placed on the right side of the street going West on Slaughter.

Reagan Zuniga, Reporter

What was once an empty lot on the side of Slaughter Lane is now an opened 7/11 gas station, conveniently placed on the right side of the street going West on Slaughter. This gas station is the first to be placed on this major intersection and allows students easy access to fill up their tanks.

Many students find this new addition to the area extremely helpful because they no longer have to alter their afternoon commute when they need gas. When going West on Slaughter the nearest gas station you’ll find is off of William Cannon nearly five miles away from campus.

“Before [the gas station was built] I would have to drive a mile past Bowie in the opposite direction to get gas,” sophomore Saul Garcia said. “Since I no longer have to go [towards Brodie] to get gas I can avoid getting stuck in traffic when trying to come back the other way.” 

This 7/11 opened just a couple weeks ago and english teacher Ms.Wiedmyer was there to witness this opening and enjoy a free big gulp. Wiedmyer opens this new addition with open arms.

“I love [the new 7/11] I think it’s amazing, although it does induce my bad habit of buying sugary drinks there” Wiedmyer said.

What are your thoughts on the new 7/11 near school?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Even students that can’t drive and won’t necessarily benefit from the gas portion of this convenience store welcome the new gas station because it also provides somewhere walking distance to go to after school. 

“Some of us walk there because it’s an easy place to go if you just wants snacks or slushies after school since it’s so close,” sophomore Dorian Guanada said.

Overall the 7/11 is looked at as a positive and useful change for Bowie students and faculty and is appreciated by most in the community. One of the main reasons this gas station is so well liked is because of their low gas prices in comparison to other gas stations going west on Slaughter.

“I think it was a good idea and that it’s nice that the prices are actually reasonable and it’s not capitalizing on being the only gas station on that side of the street and making the prices unreasonably high,” Garcia said.