Senior Goodbye: Jocelyn Brooks

Jocelyn Brooks, Managing Editor

Throughout my years here at Bowie, I’ve seen three different principals, a water shortage, an infestation of bats, a school vandalization, and a rainstorm so bad we were kept in first period for four hours while wearing Halloween costumes. I’ve filled up my camera roll with memories, gotten dumped (multiple times), had my iconic emo phase, discovered my passions, and reached a goal I had since sixth grade. I’ve made new friends and lost even more. But more than that, I’ve grown. While Bowie has given me 3 am cram sessions, the flu, and a desensitivity to cockroach sightings, it has also made me stronger and given me the tools to move past the second best tree in Austin into the next part of my life.

To my parents—I am so grateful for your unconditional support and selflessness throughout my life. You have done more for me than I’ll ever know how to repay you for and I know I would not be the woman I am today without you. To Fabian, my wonderful boyfriend and even better best friend—you’ve seen me at more lows than highs this past year and a half and have stuck by me regardless. I love you and am so lucky to have you in my life. To the Dispatch staff, thank you for being a community for me where I can be myself and be a part of something meaningful. Thank you for exploring new cities with me and evacuating San Francisco hotels and sitting in more design conventions than any of us will ever need. And to my friends, both new and old—to those of you who are still by my side, you make my life better and make me strive to be a better person. And to friends I’ve lost along the way, you helped me grow and learn more about myself, and I hope all the best for you in whatever your future brings.

Thank you to Mr. Reeves and Ms. Dellana for helping me believe in myself, giving me a voice, making me feel valuable, teaching me to fight for what I believe in, and fostering an environment where we can feel safe and secure. You’ve been the people I turn to in times of strife and joy and I cannot express how influential you’ve been in shaping who I am. Thank you to Mr. Flick—oh Captain, my Captain!—for not only giving me incredible things to think about but also encouraging and teaching me new ways to think about them. And thank you to Mrs. Flick for showing me what kindness looks like and for being the most outstanding math teacher I’ve ever had. Each of you has impacted my life in different ways, but all of you have given me aspirations as to the person I want to become one day.

If you asked me four years ago in eighth grade where I thought I’d be now, the answer would’ve been about as far off as my C-team basketball free throw. I would’ve told you I was leaving Texas and never looking back, but here I am moving an hour and 22 minutes away. I thought the friends I had from middle school would remain with me through high school and beyond, but I’ve made completely different friends from yearbook, newspaper, theatre (rip #squad), and orchestra that have varied by year and exposed me to so many amazing different individuals. I believed I had already become the person I was supposed to be, yet here I am—more tired and less sure.

There’s a specific memory I have sitting at the kitchen table in eighth grade at my old house, and I was eating breakfast with my mom. We were going over course selections for my freshman year and looking through the catalog when she asked me if I wanted to join newspaper. I scoffed and said the paper was irrelevant.

People change.

High school has taught me that change can sometimes (maybe?) be okay, and it has allowed me to become the person I am today: a little bit stronger, a little bit less cringy, and so much more ready for what’s next.

All my love.

P.S. Okay NOW I’m sad.