Senior Goodbye: Austyn Keelty

Austyn Keelty, Photo Essay Editor

I think my high school experience can be easily explained when compared to the monthly change of hairstyles I recycle through. I came into high school looking and sounding like every other freshman girl with long long dirty blonde hair and a pair of white converse trying to fit in, but leaving I’m a completely unique individual that I can say is truly me.

High school, although not the most glorious years of my life (see my bleached eyebrow phase), has been the ultimate test of my character and self, and through it came a vocal feminist with chin length mismatched hair and zero doubt about pairing platform leather combat boots with just about anything.

Although it took a few years, I met some friends who were huge forces in helping transform me into a better person. Thank you to Anna, Kaylee and Josh for showing me what genuine friends are and supporting me through even my not so smart decisions.

Shoutout to my track team, full of beautiful and strong women who pushed me to express myself vocally and fashionably, despite the looks you may receive. Thank you to the track coaches who believed in me and pushed me in practice. I will always remember the advice and support this team gave me while running in college.

I’ve had my fair share of amazing teachers including Ms. Brett, Ms. Shan, Mr. Reeves and Ms. Keyes. These teachers always showed passion for the subjects they teach and always welcomed questions with helpful thorough answers. However, my most valued academic experiences come from the dedicated, smart, and passionate English teachers at Bowie. Mr. Logan, Ms. Wiedmeyer, and Dr. Rilling all helped instill a passion for reading and writing in me. Finding the voice in my head and transporting it onto paper was something I struggled with coming into high school, but because of these teachers I leave high school wanting to major in communications so I can use my words to make a difference (and sometimes I even read for fun now).

Lastly, thank you to my parents who always allowed me to freely express myself. Creating a ever-present warm, welcome, and judgement free environment at home is something I’m very grateful for. My dad never fails to compliment some of my oddest fashion creations and praise me on my accomplishments, and my mom gifted me with independent resilience that helped me through some of the toughest times and continues to do so.