In memory of Kyle Isaiah Felix

Back to Article
Back to Article

In memory of Kyle Isaiah Felix

On the afternoon of February 17, 2019, Bowie senior Kyle Isaiah Felix passed away due to cervical teratoma, a rare form of cancer.

Photo by: Courtesy of family

Photo by: Courtesy of family

Photo by: Courtesy of family

Rachel Baschnagel, Copy Editor

For the second time in just a month, students returned from a weekend break to learn that one of their own had passed away. In late January, senior Jackson Eng passed away from pancreatitis, and on the afternoon of February 17, 2019, Bowie senior Kyle Isaiah Felix passed away as well.

Known to many of his friends as Kyle and by his family as Isaiah, he valiantly fought thyroid cancer. After that original battle, he was also “diagnosed with teratoma of the neck, also known as cervical teratoma, a rare form of cancer,” according to his GoFundMe page. Though he underwent chemotherapy, Kyle passed away 11 months after the support campaign, #IsaiahSTRONG, began.

He was able to make friends with anyone he crossed paths with. His smile would light up any room he walked into.”

— Violet Miller

“He inspired me to be the best version of myself possible,” Kyle’s girlfriend senior Violet Miller said. “He was able to make friends with anyone he crossed paths with. His smile would light up any room he walked into.”

Miller and Kyle dated for three years, although she said they were so close that she felt she knew him even longer.

“Kyle helped me to overcome my depression and he taught me to be self confident and to not care about what people say about me,” Miller said. “He meant more than the more world to me. We did everything together. He was my best friend.”

Not only was Kyle an inspiration to his girlfriend, but to his teammate and friend senior Justin Robarts as well.

“Kyle, to me, was one of the most inspirational people that I’ve ever met,” Robarts said. “Being able to be so positive and happy while going through what everyone’s worst fear is is just incredible and I idolize him so much for that. He’s also one of the most funny and honest guys I’ve met.”

Former Bowie student Lucy Whipple met Kyle through a class at school and discovered that his family was close to her best friend’s. From then on, they all became good friends.

Photo by: Courtesy of family
Kyle Isaiah Felix spent his last three years in Austin with family, and in that time, touched the hearts of all that knew him.

“He was the kind of person that everything was so fun no matter what we were doing,” Whipple said. “From just standing around in the kitchen to hanging out in a parked car at night with our friends listening to music, it was a blast just being in his company.”

Whipple misses him dearly, and had only good things to say about him.

“It’s easy to say that he was such a unique person. He didn’t have a single bad bone in his body,” Whipple said. “He cared about and was there for anyone he came across. His smile and warmness will definitely be what he will be remembered by forever.”

Kyle’s aunt Jennifer Felix provided the names of the family members who remember him fondly.

“Isaiah is survived by his mom, Sherianne; dad, Pierre; and most importantly his sister, Kelsie, in Georgia as well as a huge, incredible Haitian family,” Jennifer Felix said. “He spent his last three years here in Austin with his uncle, Hans; auntie, Jenny and cousins Julien and Sydne Felix here at Bowie.”

In an email to the Bowie staff, principal Mark Robinson said that additional counselors will be available in the VC Room at school.

If anyone wishes to donate to Kyle’s family to help fund his “going home celebration,” they can donate via Venmo @IsaiahStrong according to his GoFundMe site, found here. Another option is to email Karine Ernest through the GoFundMe site for bank routing and account information if Venmo is unavailable.

Kyle’s memorial service will be held in Austin at Slow Pokes BBQ on FM1626, Saturday March 9. It is open to anyone who wishes to remember him alongside friends and family. The family plans to release a flyer with more information soon.

EDIT: (2/25/2019)

More information has been released regarding  Kyle Isaiah Felix’s wake and service, please read the announcement here.