Bowldogs knocking down pins

Sumin Kim

Over at Westgate lanes, Bowie’s bowling club, the “Bowldogs,” are knocking down each and every pin.

Zach Jones, J1 Reporter

There are many unique clubs at James Bowie High School. This particular club has been a strike with many Bowie students. Every month on a Wednesday night, you can find a group of Bowie bowlers at Westgate Lanes. These students belong to Bowie’s “Bowldogs” club, a club where students of all high school grades and skill levels are welcome to join for a fun time.

Keith Morris and Amiee Kellogg are the administrators of the club this year. Morris says that the club is full of positive energy with the students supporting each other.

“It can get competitive at times on a good night,” Morris said. “The club members support each other. Strikes are usually celebrated with high fives all around and some good old-fashioned cheering.”

Senior Santiago Ramirez has been attending the club at Westgate Lanes since it was founded two years ago. Ramirez joined the Bowldogs for a place to socialize and make new friends.

“I joined the Bowldogs because I wanted to find somewhere where I could hang out with people after school,” Ramirez said. “I wanted to find a place to have fun with friends.”

Morris says that the club was founded by a student of Bowie High School who wanted an inclusive club for everyone.

“A student, Baley Jauma Hall, had a vision for a club that would attract a variety of students from different backgrounds which would facilitate students at Bowie High School getting together to have a lot of fun,” Morris said. “He initiated it, campaigned for it, and convinced me and Mrs. Kellogg to sponsor the Bowie Bowldogs.”

Junior Ben Murphy has also been with the club since the beginning. Murphy enjoys Westgate Lanes because of the fun environment.

“Westgate Lanes is awesome,” Murphy said. “It has good food and a lot of vending machines. I also like the fun music that they play while we bowl.”

Morris hopes for even more people to join the Bowldogs this year for some fun and friendly games of bowling.

“We would love to see some friendly competition this year, so we are hoping more students sign up and join us,” Morris said. “It’s all in great fun, so all skill levels are welcome. Beginner bowlers all the way up to expert bowlers are encouraged to participate.”

Ramirez says that he is excited to go bowling every month with all of his friends.

“I like when we go out and bowl to have a good time,” Ramirez said. “In Bowldogs, we all get together and eat food. While waiting for our turn to bowl, we all socialize.”

Morris says that the club was made for students to have fun with each other after school while bowling.

“We emphasize laughing, socializing and celebrating with each other,” Morris said. “Westgate Lanes has been a great host for our Bowling Club over the last two years and we are all looking forward to another successful year.”