Card Game club

Back to Article
Back to Article

Card Game club

Photo by: Sumin Kim

Photo by: Sumin Kim

Photo by: Sumin Kim

Card Game Club, brought into the Bowie community by Lydia Standage, is a place for students to socialize and escape the stress that everyday life brings.  

“It’s a place [that’s] welcoming for everyone,” said club sponsor Laura Mixon. “I’m glad to provide a space that’s safe and comfortable to everyone.”

The club became a social area allowing students to meet, communicate, laugh, and bring a nostalgic feeling in the room.

“I have been playing games with my family ever since I was little, so it’s just always been something I love to do,” said Standage. “So I wanted to start a club where people can get together, learn new games, and meet new friends.”

Standage surrounded herself with some friends and sprouted a society of open-minded people looking for a way to fill their time besides technology.

“I think the Card Game Club gives people the opportunity to get off of technology and still have a lot of fun,” said Standage. “I think this is important because everything is on technology these days.”

Students get a moment of relaxation, genuine laughs, putting their mind to work in an entertaining way. Leaving the screens away and building communicating skills.

The club spends their time playing a variety of games, including an altered version of spoons, which Standage explains.

“We’ve been playing a game called “cash”, it’s like spoons but instead of grabbing a spoon when you get four of a kind, you secretly signal your partner,” Said Standage. “We have also been playing spoons and Apples to Apples.”

This successful club is bringing in new members at a fascinating rate.

“It started off with a group of four girls in one week and the next week there were about 20 people here,” Standage said.

Standage has a connection to the members of the group. Her supportive friends became club leaders that Standage can rely on.

“I love this club and all the leaders, Leela McKeena, Jenni Trevino, and Selena Townshend,” said Standage. “I am also excited to see what this club will become.”