DJ spins his record right round

Austyn Keelty, Staff Writer

Commonly rappers and singers will take all the spotlight for songs and albums they produce, but what about those people behind the making of the song? The catchy beats and head-throbbing bass that people can’t get enough of can be credited to DJs.

On the side, Derek Patel took up DJ’ing, and it’s all thanks to a Christmas gift he received two years ago and all the support he receives from the people surrounding him.

“Two years back Christmas morning, my parents gave me a toy DJ board and I decided that this was actually pretty cool and then I decided to get more serious last summer,” Patel said.

However, Derek was not alone on this journey, as his brother Vinay Patel also took up DJ’ing. Vinay being the older brother, took on the responsibility of learning the basics, setting up their company, and teaching Derek everything he had learned about DJ’ing.

“My brother influences me the most because he DJs with me, and we basically do everything together,” Derek said.

Although DJ’ing is not a full-time job because of school and other priorities, Vinay and Derek earn enough money to pay for all their own equipment and keep the extra money for themselves.

“At first it was a hard process trying to even get the company started,” Derek said.

After receiving his gift, it was all Derek’s responsibility from there on.

“My parents just got me the first board and after that we got a job and we just started paying for our own stuff.”

As Derek got the basics down, he began to expand his talents by creating his own unique remixes and teaching himself exclusive tricks that expanded Vinay’s expertise as well.

“It’s incredible with him having so much practice and overtime of him learning new things,” Vinay said. “He teaches me new things everyday, so his progress has been really amazing and he is one of the good DJs now.”

Vinay and Derek are always helping and teaching each other new things. However, sometimes the competition can get intense between them, affecting their relationship not only as co-workers, but as brothers too.

“It affects us because we always love pushing each other to a new level,” Vinay said. “We always compete with each other when it comes to the type of DJ gigs we get and also who is better at DJ’ing.”

One of the most important things when it comes to growing into a young adult is the approval and support from parents. Derek receives endless support from his mother Tina Patel, for she hopes he takes his talent and turns it into a future career.

“I’m really proud of him because this is one thing I didn’t have to force him into,” Tina said.

Because of the passion he holds for his talent, Tina believes her son will go far with DJ’ing.

“He could take it as a career if he wanted to because he is so driven by it and so into it that I would let him. I feel blessed to have a child that loves what he does.”

Being a full-time DJ is not an easy lifestyle. According to Digital DJ tips, on average a starting full-time DJ makes about $25,000 a year all depending on how many gigs one will perform. Many DJs practice this career as a side job because it is so difficult to take on DJ’ing as a full-time career.

Austin offers many opportunities for rising musicians. However, just like rappers, singers, and producers, it’s rare to go big and sometimes it can all be thanks to luck. The brothers believe with their combined talents they have what it takes.

“The potential for Derek is endless,” Vinay said. “I really do believe because he puts in constant work every weekend he is doing something that involves music for the future. I think he can really help me expand our company beyond Texas and out into other states.”

It is extremely difficult to make it as a full-time DJ and although the potential is there, Derek sees a future that involves careers other than DJ’ing as well. 

“Well I definitely want to continue expanding our company, but I don’t want to do this as a living,” Derek said. “I plan on having a primary job and then having my DJ’ing be a side job or a secondary job.”

Not only do DJs create their own music and remixes, but they also collaborate with rappers and singers. Derek collaborated with Lil $cotty, a fellow Bowie high school student who produces his own raps, performs at parties and collabs with other rappers,  last year to produce their own mash-up, reaching just over 24,000 views.

“Derek can become a DJ for future upcoming artists, he really possesses those talents,” Vinay said.

Continuing to push each other and expanding their talents and skills, Vinay and Derek are booking more and more gigs and expanding their company to new artists. Recently, Derek and Vinay performed for two local Austin rappers, Young Water$ and Tw1$t.

“I love having people hyped in the crowd and just playing songs that are popular at the time,” Derek said.

For Derek, it is the vibe he gets from the crowd that really makes DJ’ing live worthwhile.

“It’s actually pretty dope because you get to experience other people and you get different types of crowds when you go perform with other people,” Derek said.

Many people support Derek in DJ’ing, and through the dedication of Vinay and Derek, their company continues to expand.

“Derek is so driven and compassionate about DJ’ing,” Vinay said. “He is a very quick learner, he will progress very well and do something big.”

Source www.promobiledj.com