Classical guitar starts plucking

Emily Merritt, Staff Writer

This year a new guitar class has been added to the course list.

“It’s mostly classical guitar.  I wanted to start it because I love guitar and playing in ensembles,” guitar teacher Jody Moseley said. “I majored in it in college and I want to give the opportunity to kids to learn what I’ve learned.”

This new class focuses on teaching students how to play classical guitar.

“We learn how to read music which is something people playing don’t ever learn how to do,” Moseley said. “We don’t just stick to the classical genre. We go out and do some blues, jazz and sometimes pop.”

The class is primarily for beginners, although more experience students can still take it and be able to learn.

“I played guitar for eight years at the Austin School of Music, but I learned how to play electric guitar,” freshman Haley Pearson said. “I’m learning how to read music, because I had never learned reading notes even though I can play.”

Students learn how to play in ensembles and solos.

“We all get parts and we all play together and help each other,” freshman Sean Carins said.

The class also performs both inside and outside of class.

“As of this semester, we’ve only performed here at Bowie since we’re a brand new program, but once they’re more experienced, I hope to play at the Performing Arts Center and maybe in some coffee shops  around town,” Moseley said.

Classical guitar had a concert back in November, which was their first time performing as a group.

“Sometimes it can be stressful performing because of nerves, but I enjoy playing guitar,” freshman Adam Algarin said.

Students learn a variety of different pieces of music during class including classical and modern.

“Usually we come in, grab our guitars, jam out and then we’ll work on music and sometimes we do solos or just have free time,” Carins said.

The growing guitar program provides many students with a sense of community

“In other classes it’s kind of solo but here, a lot of my friends are here, and I can play with them and they can help me or vice versa,” Carins said.

Students are given songs to play and are able to learn together and help each other with learning new pieces.

“We all work together and it’s just one big team,” Pearson said.

When working on ensemble music, each student is given a different part.

“We switch parts a lot,” Algarin said. “I mostly play second or third.”

Many students plan to return to the class  next year and in years to come.

“You become more musical and the teacher makes it really easy for beginners to learn,” Pearson said. “I enjoy classical guitar a lot, it’s exciting.”

Photo by: Austyn Keely