Ready, set, strike a pose

Alicia Molina, Staff Editor

what has been sweeping the Internet for the past few weeks they may not be informed on what the mannequin challenge is.

The mannequin challenge is where you are at an event with a group of people, like a party or a typical day at school, and everyone is doing something, like playing basketball or video games, but they are standing completely still like a mannequin.

The whole group is recorded and the videos are anywhere from 30 seconds to around two minutes.

A couple of organizations at Bowie have done the mannequin challenge. Some that you may have seen on-line are the Silver Stars’ and the cheerleaders’ video. The Silver Stars did the challenge video solo.

The Silver Star video, which can be found on The Silver Star Twitter page (@JBHSSilverStars) as of right now has a total of 40 re-tweets and 92 likes on twitter. It features the Silver Stars during practice, some of them are serious and some are striking a funny pose.

“We thought that this challenge was funny so of course we decided we had to do it. It turned out really good and I was kinda surprised at how much attention the video got,” senior Sierra Webb said.

The cheerleaders also did the mannequin challenge but they did it at a pep rally. The mannequin challenge was a perfect mix for the pep rally, it was something new and something popular with students.

“We usually try to do something in the rally that is trending at the time. We did the mannequin challenge at the pep rally before the second playoff game (Bowie v. Spring) ,” cheer coach Amie Roggemann said

When planning a pep rally, they always try to switch stuff up but still try to keep the traditions, the pep rally, which is usually held in the gym, was in the courtyard that day so that they would be able to do this challenge easier.

“Coach Roggemann and I are the ones who plan out the pep rallies together. I usually come in to the planning session with a few ideas in my head for the rally,” Senior Spirit coordinator Ilona Poole said.

The planning process for these events, like pep rallies, is much quicker than what you may think, it also takes some creativity. The spirit coordinator and cheer coach come up with ideas that they can both agree on.

“We usually meet up during a fit session early in the week of an upcoming rally, like on Monday or Tuesday. If the pep rally is for a big game I bring in a few supplies to the planning session as well,” Poole said.

The Bowie Cheer twitter page (@Bowiecheer) tweeted out the video that was taken at the pep rally. The video, as of right now has 22 re-tweets and 38 likes. It featured everyone that attended the rally including people that were performing like the band, the cheer team.

“Everyone was able to participate in the challenge that wanted to, as long as they were present they had the chance to be in it,” Roggemann said.

Alongside the other performers, the entire varsity football team also participated in the rally. They were a big part in the rally because the students are there to cheer them on and give them support for an upcoming game.

“All of the varsity football team was featured in the video, we got notified of what we were going to be doing right before the pep rally,” senior Jackson Gall said

A big part of the mannequin challenge is videotaping it. A lot of people participate in the challenge so that they can get a few laughs out of people and post it on social media so the videographer’s job is very crucial.

“Coach Roggemann was the one who videotaped the challenge at the rally.” Poole said. “We got it set up pretty quickly, we only had about 10-15 seconds to get set up for the video which was fast for a lot of people,” senior Jordan Maywald said.

Photo By Gigi Francis