School, study, sleep, repeat

Mia Barbosa

Sophomore Jennifer Hoang enjoys a nice day of studying outside. Hoang has the top rank in her class, an achievement made possible by her rigourous study habits.

Shelby Kelly, Staff Writer

School, homework, extracurricular activities, sleep, repeat—that’s what life can be for some top ranking students. A new survey suggests that teenagers everywhere are feeling high levels of stress that they say negatively affect every aspect of their lives. A USA today’s poll suggests that 27% of students in the US say they experience “extreme” stress during the school year.

Although being a highly ranked student can come with a lot of stress, sophomore Jennifer Hoang, ranking number one out of 715 students in the 10th grade glass of 2018. Hoang does admit that grade pressures and stress does exist but the greatest stress contributor would be the high expectations she and others place on her.

“There is obviously pressure to keep grades up but I do sometimes see social pressure because people expect me to know everything or get perfect scores,” Hoang said.

Being number one the class requires academic self discipline and tightly controlled scheduling, the hardest part, Hoang explains about being the top of the class would be the constant high expectations.

“I think people expect a lot from me, like I should know everything and get 100’s all of the time,” Hoang said.

Hoang is not the only one who realizes the pressures some people put on her.

“With her achievement of being top rank, I have noticed her being in social and grade pressures since everyone expects her to know everything and get 100s on all assignments,” friend Jessica Rodriguez said.

Achieving and maintaining her rank in the grade is not painless and requires determination, according to Geometry teacher Dana Stiles.

“I don’t believe Jennifer’s success has been easy,” Stiles said. “She’s devoted a lot of time to her studies, and is never afraid to ask for help if she doesn’t understand a concept.”

Although it takes a lot for Hoang to keep up her grades, she still makes time for friends.

“Jennifer does not cut out on social or hangout time, she would rather be with her friends than studying,” Rodriguez said.

Some might think that with all these pressures from all aspects of her life she would lose the desire, but through all of it she stays on track.

“Jennifer would always stretch her thinking and the thinking of her classmates by extending upon the topics we were covering,” Stiles said. “She was always extremely motivated in class. She enjoyed Geometry and her love showed through the types of questions she would ask in class.”

Hoang enjoys tutoring other students on top of balancing her busy and full life to help others.

“This year, she enjoys coming in to help tutor my Geometry students on Thursday mornings,” Stiles said.  “She always tells me how much she misses Geometry.”

Being number one takes a lot from a person; it takes a certain type of person.

“I think Jennifer reached her goal of being the top rank through hard work and dedication,” Rodriguez said.  “Some qualities she possesses that helped her get there is she is naturally intelligent, studious, and devoted to accomplishing her goals,”

The way Hoang keeps going in maintaining and reaching her future and current goals are by following an important set of advice she gives herself daily.

“The best advice I could give is to just try your best so you have nothing to regret,” Hoang said.