Boys basketball shoots to be the best in the district

Nya Martin

Senior Josh Wainwright goes up for the shot as he is guarded by two Hays player. Wainwright is a returning starting varsity player.

Nate Miller, Staff Writer

During this season the basketball team has gone from a collection of a bunch of ‘new to varsity’ players to one of the best teams in the district. They just started their second round of district and are currently second at 12-9.

Most of the team is pretty new to varsity, but they have made it work. They went from a bottom tier team to one of the top performing teams.

“You’ve got a bunch of JV guys who’ve moved up from different spots, and they’re just doing an outstanding job,” coach Celester Collier said.

Collier and the team have moved through the ranks this season, going from the bottom all the way to being one of the best teams in the district. The team is playing well with each other now that the season has progressed.

“We fought our way all the way from the bottom to second place in the district. We’ve won seven out of eight of our last games. At this point in the season, we’re really starting to click,” Collier said.

The team recently played and beat Austin High 68-59 and Hays 53-39, cementing their status as a driving force of the district.

“My favorite game of the season so far was our win at Austin High.  It is always good to beat Austin High, but this one was especially sweet, since it is the last time we will play them as a district opponent because they are dropping down to 5A next year,” coach Brad Ingram said.

There were only four returning varsity players this year and only one returning varsity starter. One of the varsity starters this year came to the basketball team from the football team. Senior Josh Wainwright plays both sports as well as handling his academic career.

“It was very busy, but dealing with school, basketball, and football was honestly more of a reward than anything because it helped me learn to use time wisely,” Wainwright said.

Wainwright has been playing sports for most of his life and decided he wanted to play basketball for the bowie team.

“I’ve been playing football since second grade and basketball all my life. I figured playing ball for the school would be cool. Plus, I’m playing in front of all my friends,” Wainwright said.

Wainwright is going on to college next year to play football. The college search was a big responsibility to deal with along with sports and high school.

“Josh’s future will be playing college football. He is being recruited by several schools. It has been a challenge for him to balance the recruiting process and stay focused on basketball, but he has been able to do both,” Ingram said

Wainwright has lived up to the coaches’ expectations both as a student and as an athlete.

“Josh is a tremendous athlete. He is becoming a great basketball player. He gives us great effort and leadership and has made a big difference for us since coming over from football.” Ingram said

The team has used this season to bond and learn to play well together. They have also made this into a successful season by playing together with a good dynamic.

“We’re playing with a lot of energy and we’re playing hard. I think we’re starting to click. They play for each other, not a whole bunch of selfish players,” Collier said, “I like the way we’re developing and getting better at the right time.”

Andrew Miller is another player for the varsity team alongside Josh. As the members of the team continue to bond on and off the court they have begun to work well together.

“My favorite part of being on the team would definitely have to be when we are celebrating together in the locker room and goofing off after games,” Miller said.

The team is in a great place right now and they are hoping to go all they way to playoffs and do well.

“Our goals include making it to playoffs and advancing in the playoffs, right now we are in position to do that.  I expect this team to continue to play well and accomplish their goals,” Ingram said.