Nearly 2,000 students attend ‘hoco’

School spirit explodes at homecoming

Amy Nygun, Staff Writer

Homecoming week arrived,  the halls were buzzing with excitement. Everyone was  talking about who’s getting asked to homecoming and the cute homecoming proposals.

Class presidents for 2017, Lauren Noe, Carlyn Crow, cheer captain Hadley Kopser, and student council advisor James Ellerbrock describe their experiences with homecoming elections, spirit days, and elections at James Bowie High School this 2015-2016 school year.

“The senior officers on the cheer team come up with the spirit days, as they do each year, so that means it was both captains, the spirit coordinator, and the social coordinator,” Kosper said.

Deciding on what dress up days get chosen for the school is a process that is very critical.

“The senior officers on the cheer team come up with the spirit days, as they do each year,” Kosper said. “We create a list of sample spirit days when we apply for an officer position and then once that group is chosen we all share our ideas and pick our favorites.”

Crow believed that spirit days provide a positive atmosphere within the school.

“I went all out for Smarty Pants day and for Disney Day I dressed up as Cruella DeVille and people loved it. I have so much fun on spirit days because I’m not afraid to be bold and have fun,” Crow said.

Noe explained how the homecoming elections at Bowie take place.

“The nominees get picked by the student body. The class officers’ programs for each grade send out ballots to each of the English classrooms,” Noe said. “Once we, the officers receive a consensus, we send out another set of ballots with the top three candidates, find the winners, and then announce the prince and princess at the pep rally.”

Tiny aspects such as mums play an important role during homecoming.

“They’re a Texas tradition. A lot of people don’t realize only Texas and maybe a few other southern states do mums for homecoming,” Crow said. ”And it’s always cool to find out which guys actually made them for their dates and which made their mom do it.”

Setting up and preparing the location has to happen before the dance.

“The PTSA and StuCo set up and decorate the cafeteria to help transform it into an exciting dance,” Ellerbrock said.

Creating and putting up the decorations took the team significant time to complete.

“I know the StuCo and the PTSA work super hard on the dance so I want to make sure they get credit for doing an awesome job,” Crow said.

Wrapping up homecoming week ends with a school wide dance.

“We get to dress up during spirit days, go to a great pep rally, and have a ball at the homecoming dance. It is a really great time of year that brings the school together as a whole,” Noe said.

Homecoming is an important event that promotes school wide pride for students and staff.

“When almost two thirds of the student body come, you’re at a good school and doing something right,” Ellerbrock said.