FAFSA delays cause missed chances
FAFSA delays cause missed chances
Madeleine Travis, Commentary Editor • June 9, 2024

Put yourself in a scenario where you’re applying for college and the thing that could make or break your acceptance just got delayed until December. All of your plans were to apply to college in October...

SHELVES STOCKED: The party section at Daiso Japanese retail store is stocked with numerous festive items. The store is located in Sunset Valley.
Daiso Japanese retail store location opened in Austin
Bentlee Toland, Review Editor • June 8, 2024

The bright lights shine on the customers filled with excitement after waiting in line to enter the new Daiso Japanese store at The Sunset Valley  5400 Brodie Ln Ste 990, Austin, TX 78745. It’s 10,000...

No Place For Hate hosts community fair

Alex Edwards
COMPETITION CLASHES ON CHESS BOARD: Senior Issac Hoke concentrates on his chess game against sophomore Nathan Musat. No Place For Hate hosted a community fair for clubs to encourage inclusion and acceptance at Bowie.

Walking into the courtyard, junior Sydney McBurnett was ecstatic to see that she and her classmates’ hard work and planning had come to fruition to produce Bowie’s first-ever community day. As student-constructed booths wrapped around every inch of the courtyard, and clusters of students spread out to visit each organization’s table, McBurnett was pleased with the positive turnout emerging from the student leadership classes efforts.

The student leadership class, taught by boys basketball coach Trey Lindsey, organized the event to occur in the courtyard during both lunches on Friday, April 26. Student organizations were invited and urged to sign up for a booth to promote their group to the student body.

“The event was entirely student-organized,” McBurnett said. “Coach Lindsey split us into different groups, and each group prepared a different aspect of the event. For instance, one group reached out to clubs interested in having a booth, another group focused on organizing the student leadership booth, one group focused on advertising the event, and so on.”

Community day showcased various student organizations and clubs, ranging from the National Honor Society (NHS) to the Crocheting Club. The event aimed to promote inclusion amongst different organizations at Bowie, and provide certain organizations an opportunity to recruit interested students before the end of the school year.

CLUBS IN NEW COMMUNITIES: International Bulldogs pose for the camera. The club consists of Bowie’s foreign exchange students and is sponsored by April Giuffre. (Alex Edwards)

“Bowie has tons of clubs that host a safe space to hang out and engage in fun social time, which is super important,” NHS sponsor Jacqueline Gonzalez said. “But, this event also highlights the programs that offer positive community service opportunities. This helps put groups, such as honors societies, on underclassmen’s radars so they know about us.”

In the past, Bowie organized a No Place For Hate parade each spring. However, the parade showcased fewer organizations and garnered less hands-on student interaction, so the student leadership class decided to execute their community day plans.

“This event benefits the campus more because it’s an extension of club fair day, and the faces of student organizations can advocate for what their programs offer,” Gonzalez said. “It’s a good way for students to see what Bowie offers and how they can get involved in different groups. Students can say, I might not be a junior just yet, but when I am, I could get involved in this, or let me see what other clubs look interesting to me.”

In addition to organizing community day, student leadership engages in their community by volunteering at elementary schools, participating in book and clothing drives, and organizing fun, Bowie-focused events. Upperclassmen interested in joining the class should talk with their alpha counselors.

“The student leadership class brings a lot of pride to campus,” junior member Knox Cannon said. “Everyone in the class strives to make Bowie a better place and motivates other students to be proud of being a Bowie Bulldawg. The goal for the event was to encourage that idea of being proud of your school, so hopefully other students can honor their Bowie pride as well.”  ADDITIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS BY Kate Davis, Asher Hagan, and Sophia Sanchez