FAFSA delays cause missed chances
FAFSA delays cause missed chances
Madeleine Travis, Commentary Editor • June 9, 2024

Put yourself in a scenario where you’re applying for college and the thing that could make or break your acceptance just got delayed until December. All of your plans were to apply to college in October...

SHELVES STOCKED: The party section at Daiso Japanese retail store is stocked with numerous festive items. The store is located in Sunset Valley.
Daiso Japanese retail store location opened in Austin
Bentlee Toland, Review Editor • June 8, 2024

The bright lights shine on the customers filled with excitement after waiting in line to enter the new Daiso Japanese store at The Sunset Valley  5400 Brodie Ln Ste 990, Austin, TX 78745. It’s 10,000...

Senior Goodbye: Asher Hagan

When preparing to write this, I went back and looked at past examples of senior goodbyes and the more I read, the more I realized: “Wow. There’s no way to make this not look like it belongs in the cheesy writings of a fifth grader’s diary, is there?”

I joined the newspaper because when I was in eighth grade looking at my high school choice sheet I thought it would be kind of funny to be able to say I work on the high school’s newspaper. When I checked the box for Graphic Design and Illustration 1 I had no idea what I was expecting and I definitely didn’t think I would like newspaper this much. I can truthfully say I have improved beyond compare as a designer, as an artist, and as a writer. This program has given me experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world.

To Reeves – When my dad met you for the first time he turned to me and said “he’s loud.” You have a lot of confidence when you talk and I think most of that comes from the fact that you also have a lot of experience. You can be a lot at times and forgive me for saying this, but you’re not everyone’s cup of tea. However, I truly believe the way you run your classroom leaves a lasting impact on your students and helps prepare them for the journalistic world in front of them. It was a pleasure to have you as an advisor for the past three years.

To my teachers – Thank you for everything you do. I definitely think that the teachers are the best part about Bowie and y’all deserve the absolute world. I have learned so much more than I ever thought I could simply because my teachers engaged me in what we were learning. Thank you to Ms. Le Juene who constantly manages to create a creative and supportive environment in art classes. Thank you to Mr. Stampley for making me interested in learning more about history and emphasizing the importance of learning the context of modern day situations and events. Mr. Day, you may be a little bit crazy and I am still of the belief that you have way too much energy to be a high school teacher, but thank you nonetheless for teaching me information that is immediately applicable and valuable in my life. Your class is probably one of the most important classes I’ve ever taken. Thank you to all of the other teachers I’ve had over the years that have made a lasting impact in my life.

To my dad – I don’t have the words to describe my gratitude. You have always supported me and never fail to inspire me in so many ways. Thank you for putting up with me for 18 years. I really don’t know how you did it.

To the Dispatch staff – Y’all are all incredibly talented individuals and it has been a pleasure to work alongside all of you. I have no doubt in your abilities to continue running this program and take the Dispatch further than it has ever gone before. Even though there was stress, I will miss working on this paper.

Thank you to everyone who helped me throughout my time at Bowie. I will be going to the University of Texas at Austin for Studio Art before hopefully transferring to an art school for the same thing.