Costumes restricted by dress code

COMMENTARY:

Halloween is the holiday of creativity and fun, and people constantly try to enhance their experience through an awesome costume. I think that these above and beyond, jaw- dropping costumes should be proudly displayed to peers.

School is the perfect place to show others your costume because then all of your friends and teachers can see your cool originality. Even though the district has restrictions for what should be allowed at school for costumes for safety purposes, I think that the dress code could be more lenient to give students the freedom to celebrate their uniqueness and creativity.

The Halloween dress code goes as follows; for safety reasons face paint, masks, fake weapons and hoods are not allowed. You must wear shoes, and the costume cannot be too revealing or distracting to the learning environment. The costume cannot display foul language or any sort of sign and it may not be inappropriate. Lastly, the normal AISD dress code still applies.

Looking at this dress code, many students get disappointed because there isn’t a lot of awesome costumes that can be successfully done within these limits. I feel like every year we can expect the same costumes to be seen at school and even the simplest of costumes are left out due to the dress code.

According to the code, students can’t even dress as Katniss Everdeen because of the weaponry, Batman because of his mask, or even an animal such as a deer because of face paint. I think that it isn’t fair that some organizations at the school, such as color guard and theatre, can use face paint for their shows, yet if a student wears face paint for Halloween they will be dress coded and told to wash it off.

The reason why people are not allowed to have face paint is because it makes it harder to identify students, which is a safety hazard. But, even so, I believe that students should be allowed to put paint on the areas of the face that do not include the mouth, eyes, and nose or even be allowed to paint half of their face.

Therefore the identity of the student isn’t hidden and also the student gets to convey the message of their costume more clearly. Other things in the dress code like no weaponry make sense, but I would also have to disagree with that.

If it is obvious that a student’s fake weapon is a potential danger then the office should have the ability to confiscate it, but if it is just a little plastic pitchfork to be the devil, I think it should be allowed because nobody will be harmed.

While some things in the Halloween dress code are understandable, I think that there is most definitely a place for more compromise in the dress code so that students can have more fun with the holiday and celebrate.

The Dispatch • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$225
$750