Mental health awareness should be prioritized in all schools
Sally Martinez, J1 Reporter • April 22, 2024

Mental health takes a toll on students all over the world. It disrupts how they learn and retain that information. So, why is it not a big deal when schools see an increase in lower grades and moody students?...

Dull to colorful with new murals
Ryan Zuniga, Dispatch Reporter • April 19, 2024

Along the heavily populated hallway is the second mural within the fine arts wing. Over spring break a local graffiti group, Color Cartel, led and established by artist Andrew Horner, created the...

Cans captivate kindness

Student council runs annual food drive
In this episode of Noah Bout’ It, our wonderful hosts Noah Bihan and Noah Ellinger sit down with Student Council Vice President Harrison Austin to discuss the organization’s canned food drive! Tune in to Noah Bout’ their insights on the band’s performance in Indianapolis and the comeback of massively popular Battle Royale shooter Fortnite! Intro Music created by Noah Ellinger, Noah Bihan, and Bella Verette Cover Art created by Nick Wood

Bowie students organize a canned food drive every November. History teacher and student council sponsor Alejandro Garcia coordinates the drive.

The canned food drive operates to help local Austinites who need a filling meal during the holidays. Garcia believes the annual drive provides the community with an opportunity to help others, little by little.

“The canned food drive is a yearly event,” Garcia said. “Even when I was in high school at Bowie, we had food drives every year. When people are given the chance to give, they give.”

Last year, students brought in 1,800 pounds of canned goods. This year, the organization aimed high for 2,000 but fell short with 1,300 pounds. Despite not reaching their goal, all of the cans will go towards the Central Texas Food Bank.

“Next year we’ll probably have a goal of around 1,500 and see if we can work our way up from there,” Garcia said.  “I organized the canned food drive, but other groups participated in it, including the National Honor Society (NHS) and Spanish Honor Society (SHS).”

Student council vice president junior Bella Chu believes the canned food drive is essential for the Austin community to thrive.

“The canned food drive this fall brought in rice, cans, and peanut butter to communities here in Austin that appreciate the love,” Chu said. “In mid-November, student council officers happily helped to relocate the student donations to the food bank, bringing love and gratitude to the community.”

Students interested in helping those in need can be on the lookout for the NHS toy drive, as well as other opportunities provided by organizations.

“Through student council, I have not only made new friends, but also became more involved in the Bowie community,” Chu said. “Other opportunities that the student council offers besides the canned food drive is teacher appreciation, tending to school gardens, homecoming, and many other events.”