Forensic science club

Alex Edwards

The club meets to discuss, and conduct experiments to allow students to understand how forensic science works and get a firsthand experience into the day-to-day of a forensic scientist.

Savannah Linscomb, J1 Reporter

Over the past ten years a rise in true crime shows and podcasts has made the topic a point of interest for many people. At the base of these TV shows, and movies are real jobs and real science.

This type of science is called Forensic Science and it is the study of deceased persons, most likely in relation to the justice system, by studying the body of a departed person they are able to extract clues into how the person died.

Club founder senior Ryen Farris created this club with teacher sponsor Irene Lee, who is a freshman biology teacher this year.

“I wanted to help other students spark that interest,” Lee said.

“We try to do projects that spark interest,” Lee said.

Previously the club has worked on fingerprinting and tracing the movement of (fake) blood, and splatter patterns. 

“Just different projects that forensic scientists do in the field,” Lee said.

Farris approached Lee early in the year with this idea. Lee hadn’t been Farris’s teacher but was touched by his passion for the subject and was excited to take on the role of sponsor.

“I decided to start the forensic science club because it’s a topic I’m really passionate about,” Farris said.

Farris wanted to help students learn about forensic science and the many career paths that stem from the subject.

“I want to teach people forensic science so they can realize it’s an extremely interesting career path,” Farris said.

Since the club is small the group usually decides on what they want to do for the club meetings beforehand, this creates a friendly and involved element to the club.

“I plan the club meetings most often although we tend to collaboratively decide,” Farris said.

Collaboration among club members leads to a friendly inclusive environment where every club member feels their opinions are heard, according to club members.

Sophomore Nicole Magnus was interested to hear about the forensic science club.

“I love the multitude of clubs at Bowie,” Magnus said.

She had never heard of the club but was interested and quickly thought of friends who would be interested.

“I do know someone who would be interested in joining the club,” Nicole said.

The club meets every Thursday after school in room B115. Any interested student is encouraged to join, according to Farris.

“I’d love to teach more people than just the two members of the club,” Farris said