Science club

The+Science+Club+is+a+discontinued+club+at+Bowie+that+ran+up+until+the+2018-2019+school+year.+The+club%E2%80%99s+last+sponsor+was+science+teacher+Masie+Martin.+She+began+sponsoring+Science+Club+in+2016+when+she+first+came+to+Bowie.++

Lauren Bogard

The Science Club is a discontinued club at Bowie that ran up until the 2018-2019 school year. The club’s last sponsor was science teacher Masie Martin. She began sponsoring Science Club in 2016 when she first came to Bowie.

Maddy Franco, J1 Reporter

“They did experiments looking at chemical reactions,” Martin said. “They also did fun science experiments like making slime and cool reactions. We also were merged with the cave club and they got to explore the cave at Bowie.” 

Martin is willing to sponsor anyone who is willing to start the club back up. The club was previously run by a group of seniors that weren’t as successful in recruiting new incoming members.  

“I sometimes get some people inquiring about it and I’m always happy to help sponsor, but people aren’t usually interested in starting it back up,” Martin said.

The science club was previously run by Amy Shan who passed the sponsorship of the club to Martin when she started teaching in 2016. 

“Amy Shan ran it before me, but I’m not sure if she inherited it from someone else but I did inherit it from her,” Martin said. 

Freshman Sofia Yordanova thinks that joining a club with people that have similar interests is a great way to make new friends. 

“I feel like any club is a good way to meet new people because you get to see the people at your school with similar interests to yourself,” Yordanova said.

The science club offered a sense of responsibility by having student officers. They helped Martin plan where it would be and what they would do as an experiment. 

“There were student officers who helped with ideas on the experiments and when and where the meeting would take place,” Martin said.

Yordanova thinks that the science club would be a great fit for people who want a future in a science-based field, or just for people who enjoy science in general. 

People who enjoy science or want to do science-related jobs in the future could definitely benefit from being in a science club,” Yordanova said.

Yordanova thinks that if students are in a community with people they can talk about science with, it would be a great way to step out of their comfort zone.

Being in a controlled environment with fewer students can definitely make students more comfortable so that they’re willing to talk to people that they would be too nervous to otherwise,” Yordanova said.