Silver Stars sweep the competition

Photo Courtesy of Silver Stars

Although their first contest at Crowd Pleasers was one they have competed in before, this was the first time the teams competed at the Ascension contest.

Anna Bea Heise, Photo Essay Editor

The Silver Stars and JV Star Dancers recently competed in their last contest for this school year at the Ascension Hill Country Challenge at Johnson High School. The teams ended their season with 2nd place Overall JV Team, 1st place Overall Officers, and 1st place Overall Team. 

This was their first time competing at this dance competition. However, the Silver Stars haven’t won first place overall for several years.

“My favorite experience at this contest was finally seeing both teams compete as a group and showcase all of their hard work,” Dance Coach Leanne Bilnoski said. “They really pushed to make changes from the first contest to this contest, and I was so proud to see them give it their all and dance as a team for each other.”

This was the first year since the start of the pandemic that the teams were able to have a full contest season. Although their first contest at Crowd Pleasers was one they have competed in before, this was the first time the teams competed at the Ascension contest.

“I was really nervous about going to the contest, but I was equally as excited,” senior Lauren Chou said. “Since this was my last contest season, I wanted to make it memorable. I was especially nervous to perform our Team Jazz dance.”

At Ascension, the teams competed in Team Jazz, Team Kick, Team Lyrical, Jazz Company, Hip Hop Company, Seniors, and three officer pieces. Preparation for contest season began for the Silver Stars in December.

“As they announced first overall, I honestly think I was in shock for a couple of minutes,” sophomore Emma Munsinger said. “Then when it hit what was happening, it was one of the best feelings ever. My favorite experience was the team celebrating after we won the grand champion title because our hard work had finally paid off, and it was a feeling like no other.”