Students reflect on Betty White’s death

Claire Scott

Even after passing away just around a month ago, Betty White still continues to not only be a role model for aspiring actors but also for the rest of America.

Claire Scott, Staff Writer

The world went quiet as the news announced that Betty White died on December 31, 2021. 

White was born on January 17th, 1922, and was just about to reach 100 years old until her sudden passing due to natural causes. Betty White was the pioneer of early television acting and starred as Rose Nylund for eight years in the television show Golden Girls. 

White was a nationally claimed ‘Legendary Actress’, America’s Favorite Senior Citizen, and a National Treasure, as she started her career in the 1940s as a radio announcer to then became one of the most recognized actresses of Hollywood in America.

Many people have been impacted by Betty White, including some students on campus. 

“I think her passing had such an impact because she was around for just about 100 years and she did so much for her community especially.” freshman Milo Elliot said. “I kinda always grew up with her and I later came to really admire her a lot.”

“In all honesty, I wasn’t that affected by her death. I think she lived a long life and did her best to make the world a better palace, and that’s all one can ask for.” Freshman Audrey Cullinane said.

There are different aspects as to why Betty White is admired across all of America. She was most considered admirable for her successful career in acting as well as being a root influence of early American television.

“Some of the best traits that identified with Betty White’s success is simply her natural charisma and down-to-earth vibe that she presented on stage,” Elliot said. 

Students recall the first time they saw Betty White, many people see her acting on the set of Golden Girls.

“I saw the People Magazine about her turning 100 and I thought that was pretty funny,” Cullinane said.

“My mom always loved her on the Golden Girls,” Elliot said. “So I kinda always grew up with her and I later came to really admire her a lot.” 

“Betty White will always continue to influence my life in regards to my acting career. She never let her differences hold her back,” Elliot said. “And she was willing to do just about anything for a good laugh.” 

There are always certain traits to people that make them impactful to others. Betty White was known to be a hard worker that made her career what it became before she passed.

“Even as a child I have always admired Betty White with her candid and upfront way of making people laugh,” Elliot said. “She made a major statement and fought diversity with being a comedian over the age of 65.”