Non-seniors should be allowed to leave campus

Ben Tillisch

All students should be allowed to leave campus, not only seniors. High school is a great time and place to show that you can handle having rewards.

Amayah Reyes, J1 Reporter

Lunch is a free 45 minute break where students have the chance to hangout and eat with their friends. When you get to be a senior you can leave campus, but why do you have to be a senior to leave? Why not all students?

Leaving campus can be a good change of scenery for us. We spend eight hours in the same place with the same people five days a week. Being able to leave for a small part of the school day will allow us to have a break from our normal schedule and have a change for the better.

If we were able to go out we would have time to clear our heads and still come back to school with an even better frame of mind to learn and do work, this would be beneficial to teachers and students.

With lots of delicious food options like Wendy’s, Sonic, Chipotle, and even gas stations nearby, allowing everyone to leave would encourage students to get out and eat during the day. Speaking from personal experience, I know that a lot of kids don’t eat from dinner last night to dinner the following day because they rush out the door before having breakfast and don’t like the food the cafeteria serves. 

Some students could take this opportunity for granted and come back to school late, but that shouldn’t affect the experience for other kids.    

Even though all students aren’t able to drive, many sophomore, junior and seniors can. A lot of kids have friends in higher grades that are willing to drive them to get food and go out to eat. Parents can also get their kid and bring them back home for lunch or take them somewhere. 

I left campus to walk to CVS with a few of my friends during lunch and we made it back on time with at least 10 minutes to spare. I was on time to class and didn’t disrupt or cause any trouble. 

Students need to be given the opportunity to show they can handle the reward of leaving campus for lunch and come back on time.