New piano is placed outside of B hall

Kate Davis

For the past month, a piano has been heard playing various genres of music in the school hallways during lunch, class, and early mornings.

Lauren Bogard, Dispatch Reporter

Gentle and intense melody’s echo throughout the academic building, protruding from B hall. For the past month, a piano has been heard playing various genres of music in the school hallways during lunch, class, and early mornings. Despite the advanced tune, the school body had a variety of responses and reactions towards the peculiar development.

Despite some popular belief, the piano is actually quite old and was originally found downstairs, abandoned. It was later moved upstairs with the revival of its usage.

“I absolutely love it, and I think we should have a piano in every hall,” US History Teacher Carlin Floyd said. “I have opened my classroom door to listen, and during my conference periods I have gone out there and just stood there and listened to the kids play. They have literally brought me to tears with how much talent and beauty they create.”

There are some responses regarding the distracting factor of the piano. According to Floyd, some teachers and students have complained during testing.
“I liked hearing the piano during passing periods in the beginning of the day, but if it was going off during the middle of class it gets annoying,” Junior student Robert Vera said. “I feel like it could really distract some people.”

A topic of discussion is also the identification of the pianists and why they choose to play. Some of the pianist’s experience extends anywhere from four to eleven years. According to one sophomore pianist, Zachery Dalbey, a handful of students from various grade levels play for practice and self satisfaction. 

“I think people were noticing that there was a piano here and we need to start playing it,” Dalbey said. “It’s more of a hobby for me but I do really enjoy it. In fact, sometimes, while we’re playing, teachers come out to listen to us.”

Overall, students and teachers enjoy, dislike, or feign indifference towards the piano. The pianists themselves use this time to improve and enjoy the music they demonstrate.

“I’m really surprised by how talented some students are playing out there,” AFJROTC instructor Lt Col Anthony Gussman said. “It’s great to have this year especially, and it lifts everyone’s spirits.”