Encore! Encore! Miss Saigon hits the stage at GAHMSTA

Sophomore Paige Bradbury, who was nominated for the best actress in a lead role award plays the role of Kim, one of the main characters in Miss Saigon. Kim was a Vietnamese prostitute who fell in love with an American soldier.

On April 17, musical theatre students from various counties across central Texas came together to show off their talents at the Greater Austin High School Musical Theatre Awards (GAHMSTA) in Long Center.   Since only one musical and one cast per school are eligible to compete, the cast for Miss Saigon represented Bowie at the ceremony.

Bowie was nominated in thirteen of the fifteen categories that were being judged and won first place in light design, direction, and orchestra. The competition provided students with a greater platform to perform and recognition from programs across the state.

“First of all, it was incredible to go and perform at such huge and professional stage but once the show started running and we got to really socialize with people from other schools it felt amazing,” sophomore Jenny Harms said. “Just being around people you know have the same interest as you and knowing that they have worked really hard on what they want to achieve is breathtaking.”
When they weren’t performing, students got the opportunity to network with people from other schools and appreciate their artistic productions.

“My favorite experience about this event was getting to see so many young and talented performers in Texas and getting to work with them because sometimes we forget that we aren’t the only company and that there are so many other talented performers in our city,” sophomore Paige Bradbury said.
At the end of the night the cast was grateful for the amazing experience and to have gotten to perform their favorite musical of the year one last time.

“I have to say we’ll really miss performing Miss Saigon, I gained a lot of experience also the musical had such a moving and powerful story line. It made us realize a lot of stuff we had forgotten,” sophomore Juliana Davis said.