The Among Us Fad

Nicole Rooney

The game Among Us suddenly got very popular in mid September. This is a game where you go online and you can either play as a crewmate or an imposter and it is randomly picked. The crewmates mission is to finish all their tasks without being killed and try to vote out the imposter. The imposter’s mission is to kill all the crewmates before they finish their tasks, and blend in. The first group to finish their main mission in the game win and the game restarts.

Nicole Rooney, Reporter

The app TikTok where you make 15 second to one minute videos is how the game first caught lots of its players eye.

“I first heard about it through TikTok when people would make jokes about it,” Junior Sophie Moawad said. “I wanted to play it because I thought it would be fun to play with my friends and help with being bored.”

Since school was starting and many places aren’t open because of the pandemic, students thought it would be a fun way to use their time and fix their boredom.

“I think this game became popular because so many people couldn’t really go many places and were stuck at home. Plus the game is different from other games so it is something new and fun,” Moawad said.

The game has a lot of different features, such as playing on different maps, and playing in different roles like crewmate and imposter. Some people prefer to be the imposter and some prefer being a crewmate because of the many different things you can do.

“I like to play as a crewmate because when I’m an imposter I get stressed out plus I like doing the tasks,” Junior Kyla Ferrante said.

When you’re a crewmate you get to try to finish tasks to complete the game, vote out people who you think might be the imposter, and avoid getting killed. Unlike crewmates, an imposter is the opposite. When you get selected as an imposter your job is to kill off the crewmates without being seen by the other crewmates and try to blend in by faking taks and acting like a crewmate.

“I like to be the imposter because when being a crewmate you have to be on lookout for the imposter and once you get killed the game can get boring,” Moawad said.

The game Among Us is very unique because of all of its features and things you can do. When playing you get to meet and talk to people as well.

“You can talk to people and meet people online, and you are able to talk to anyone but stay anonymous,” Ferrante said. “I think it’s a fun way to be anonymous and it’s interactive and you can play it with people you know too.”

Getting to interact with people in the game is one reason why Among Us is so unique, but you can also customize your Among Us character with hats and pets.

“You can make your Among Us character however you want it to look like and you can even pay for little additions like hats and stuff,” Moawad said.

Although the game is great it can become repetitive and get boring after playing on it for a while. Right now there are three different maps that you are able to play on.

“I don’t like how repetitive the game can be. There are only 3 maps and if you play it continuously it can start to become boring,” Moawad said. “The only thing I would like to be added is new maps or new tasks so there is more variety.”

Another thing about the game is that you can play with random people in the game but there’s no way to somehow “add” them and play with them again if you want to.

“I dislike how you can’t add friends in among us like the people you meet in the game,” Ferrante said. “I would add an add friends button so you can play more games with some of the people you meet in another game.”

The game might have some bad sides that could use improvement, but overall Among Us has been used to connect with friends and have a fun time.

“I like how it’s a game of skill but also it can be very funny. It requires some thinking and deciding who is lying,” Ferrante said. “But by far my favorite part is playing with my friends while we facetime because there is always lots of laughter.”