FFA places high at TCYS

Junior Shelby Sims shows off her pig at the Travis Country Youth Show for FFA. Over 200 animals were featured.

Future Farmers of America (FFA) is a hands-on organization that gives students the opportunity to become better leaders and to learn about agriculture. They raise livestock and participate in different competitions ranging from horse judging to tractor tech.
Bowie’s FFA students recently competed in the Travis County Youth Show (TCYS) this past January.  Over 113 people are in the Bowie chapter and the show featured over 200 animals, and over 100 exhibitors.
“We had students showing a variety of animals including rabbits, steers, chickens, turkeys, pigs, goats, and sheep. Some of the students also entered youth fair projects that didn’t include livestock such as the baking division or the photography division,” Chapter historian Amber Patricio said. “Many of our students won high placings in the show and it was a very successful year.”
Competitors devoted a whole weekend to the competition with high hopes of winning scholarships.
“Our animals spent the weekend there and we went back and forth to feed them and care for them,” junior Melissa Duarte said. “It was worth it because the winners got scholarships.”
Students put in a lot of effort to prepare their animals for the competition.
“We train them, we run them, we walk them, we walk them on a walker, and really, you know, just train them well,” Duarte said.
Patricio revealed that students had been working with their animals for months to get them ready for TCYS.
“Some students have been preparing for the county show since last June. People work with their animals on a daily basis. People walk with their animals to work their muscles and have to practice showing them in the practice rings around the chapter farm,” Patricio said.
This whole experience helped students understand what FFA is all about.
“FFA is about learning how to be a leader and learning how to take responsibility through caring for our animals,” senior Shay Elliot said.
In the end, the students were glad to see all their hard work pay off as they reminisced over their success at the competition.
“The whole experience was amazing and very successful this year. Many people made auction, and everyone had a good time. We got to see our hard work and the hours invested in our animals pay off. Multiple people in our chapter won breed champion with their animals and Bowie was well represented in the show ring,” Patricio said.
TCYS first place winners include Rachel Card for goats, Clay Gamblin for sheep and breed champion of fine wool, and Megan Steffek for barrows and gilts, and Graham Williford for gilts.