Coronavirus cases increase after UT students return from trip

Shikha Patel

During spring break hundreds of University of Texas (UT) at Austin students traveled to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. When the 211 university students returned, 49 had tested positive for the novel COVID-19, coronavirus. 

Shikha Patel, Online Managing Editor

During spring break, between March 14 and 19, hundreds of University of Texas (UT) at Austin students traveled to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. When the 211 university students returned, 49 had tested positive for the novel COVID-19, coronavirus. 

Of the 211 students who traveled to Mexico, 178 students organized their trip through JusCollege, a travel vendor. According to the press release, the trip included many additional students from other colleges too. Health officials directed all students who attended the trip to self-quarantine. 

“The best way to fight COVID-19 is through a unified front, and we will only be able to do so if all of the public is on the same page,” senior Ashlyn Dahl said. “Follow public safety orders, don’t spread disinformation, and keep social distancing.”

According to UT, Mexico was not under a travel advisory at the time of the trip. However, the university strongly encouraged students to take extra caution. Students were prohibited from traveling abroad for UT-sponsored programs, but personal travel was not in the responsibility of the school. 

“The students’ choice to continue their spring break plans despite the COVID-19 risks was a selfish act, however I don’t believe this reflects directly on UT but more of our generation as a whole in regards to our views on coronavirus,” Dahl said. “I wouldn’t have been more or less surprised to see it occur with students from any other university.” 

Early March, UT students were not the only ones traveling. Study Abroad had also asked all study abroad students to depart their programs for home.  

“Several colleges around the country have foreign exchange programs and college trips in which students have recently returned due to the COVID epidemic too,” senior Akash Geeni said. “I don’t view UT any differently as they have instituted online learning and have taken precautions to ensure student’s safety.”

The incident has led many internet users to attempt to identify the travelers through social media posts.