AISD schools extend closures until April 13

Arushi Sharma

Austin Independent School District announced early on Wednesday, March 25 that all schools in the district would be closed until Monday, April 13 and students as well as staff should be prepared for longer closures. 

Faith Lawrence, Managing Editor

This extended closure was set in place in response to an announcement made Tuesday, March 24 by Austin Mayor Steve Adler regarding a Stay Home – Work Safe order to go into effect at midnight. 

“Austin ISD is committed to providing ongoing communication regarding district measures taken to assist public health officials in their prevention of COVID-19 (the coronavirus),” AISD Superintendent Paul Cruz said. “Please know, this is an ongoing situation. We ask that you refer to austinisd.org/coronavirus for daily updates and the most current information.”

Students in AISD schools will begin online classes on Monday, April 6. Until then, AISD has provided its students with Learning At-Home (https://sites.google.com/austinisd.org/aisd-learning-at-home), a web page students can access for optional, short-term learning opportunities. 

“I have learned to trust the decisions of people in authority for what they know and don’t know,” Principal Mark Robinson said. “We are all trying to make the best decisions that we can with the information we have during a rapidly developing circumstance.”