Athletes Assert: UT involvement in admissions scandal

Jack Vinson, Guest Sports Columnist. Vinson was asked to write a sports story that he cared about, even though he isnt a staff member.

Naya Tillisch

Jack Vinson, Guest Sports Columnist. Vinson was asked to write a sports story that he cared about, even though he isn’t a staff member.

Jack Vinson, Guest Sports Columnist

In March of this year, a series of allegations towards many affluent people arose. The accusations against wealthy parents who paid for their children’s SAT and ACT scores to be boosted, or that they bribed admissions officers to let their children into prestigious colleges.

The mastermind of the scandal is William Singer, who used the money parents paid him to bribe test proprietors, admissions officials, and coaches to falsify reports on students.

The college admissions scandal was first uncovered when FBI agents received a message from a businessman who was on their watch-list. He told them that he had information regarding the scandal.

The FBI investigated and identified Singer as the leader of the admissions scandal. Notable names in the scandal include Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman. These wealthy people used their money to take admission spots from deserving students who had excelled in academics and athletics all their lives and rightfully earned their places in college.

It was also uncovered that Michael Center, the University of Texas’s men’s tennis head coach, accepted a bribe of $100,000 in order to give a student a tennis scholarship back into 2015.

His crimes were brought to light after the admissions scandal began with the other culprits mentioned above. Center was immediately fired and plead guilty to having committed mail fraud and honest services mail fraud.

Even though UT’s men’s tennis team did not have their head coach for most of the season, they never gave up and made it to the NCAA finals against Wake Forest.

Their new coach, Bruce Berque, was able to inspire the team amidst the scandal. With his leadership the team had a chance to win the whole tournament.

All of the tennis matches were exciting, starting with a win for junior Christian Sigsgaard with a score of 6-3, 6-4 in singles. He was down in both the first and second sets, but he came back to win the match. Senior Rodrigo Banzer also won his singles match 7-5, 6-4. Banzer was losing 2-5 in the first set, but went on a five game run to win the first set with momentum.

Senior Colin Markes and Junior Yuya Ito won their singles matches as well. Ito was tied with the reigning singles champion, but he defeated his opponent with a third tie-breaking set score of 6-4 to clench the title.

To everyone’s surprise, the team battled back and persevered without their head coach to win UT’s first NCAA tennis title.